Reel Collecting On A Budget

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Reel Collecting On A Budget

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

When I look at a lot of reels for sale both on the ORCA site and on E-bay, it scares me. When I look at my collection of 600 reels, I have come to the following conclusions. Either I'm poor, I have a low budget for reels, I'm easily satisfied, or I'm a junk collector, or maybe I'm cheap. Probably a little of each apply. With the exception of some of the new reels that I have purchased, mostly originally purchased to fish with, but now are included in my collection. I don't have much in my collection that I have paid over $50.00 for including shipping. And it's not because I have gotten a lot of deals, it's because I haven't purchased anything that has much monetary value. Yet when I total up what I have spent for a total investment, that's a little disconcerting too. I think it was a couple of reels I got from my Dad that got me into this or maybe the Montgomery Ward Sport King that I got maybe when I was 10 that I could never cast without a backlash, not really sure. It was all downhill from there. From there to the grief that my wife or Grandkids give me each time another reel comes in the mail. Ah, collecting is fun! Isn't it?
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Reel Collecting On A Budget

Post by Kelly L »

I am pretty much on the same level as you. Except I do not have nearly as many as you do. This started out innocent enough. Now I see a full blown addiction. It is a bit scary, but fun too. I do have some reels worth more than I paid for them. I look for deals, on reels I like. As far as budget, I really don't NEED to buy any more reels. That "want" factor takes over though.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Jon, you have a fantastic reel collection, your website shows that ! and the fact that you are not a closet collector, is also a plus, you have your collection out where the whole world can see, and learn. You are a member of a great club, so you yourself can share, and learn, most collectors of something do not have the resourse you have. Be happy with that ! Also and little insurance, would be to will your reel collection to me, so as to make sure it is properly taken care of, and not sold at a yard for a couple hundred bucks :roll:
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

You are all Heart!1 Just like Heitman said.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Jon, the important questions are whether you are happy with your collection and do you like what you collect? If that's two yes's, that's all that matters. If you are ready to move on, then you treat your current collection as a basis to focus or upgrade, whichever you choose to call it...sell 4 to buy one, if that will make you happy...it's pretty darn sure to make your wife happy...as long as she doesn't know about the replacement :-]

You can see Ron selling off those old nasty Meek and Milam reels on the other page...you can bet he has his eye on something upstream to spend the money on, right Ron?! It's all a matter of perspective...and no matter how high you climb up that ladder, there will be more rungs ahead!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I think I will probably be staying on the bottom rung. Thanks
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Although I've collected reels and vintage tackle for over 25 years, I also collect other things of far less value such as cap guns, Chip Hilton, Hardy Boy and other sports and detective books from the 1960s, as well as old poker chips and dice. I love old farm tractors and want to find time to restore one.

I have three children in college and find myself on a budget like everyone else. To be honest, picking up a quality old book for $15 with a nice dust jacket gives me just as much excitement as buying a handmade Kentucky reel or a classic shotgun.

Just being the temporary custodian of something that reminds me of simpler times is satisfying to me for some reason and the friendships I've made as a collector are truly priceless. Collect what makes you happy, even if it is a Matchbox car, though your neighbor next door is driving the real thing.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Good perspective.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

One last thing about our collections as an "investment."

The hiccup in the real estate market nationwide taught everyone a lesson or two about whether their largest expenditure in life--their home--is really an "investment," or not. Living in a home for a while and breaking even on its sale sounds pretty good nowadays. Mark Twain once said, "Don't worry about the return ON your investments; worry about the return OF your investment."

If you get to enjoy your collection for 20 years or so and break even when you sell it and move on, it's really all you can expect unless the number of new collectors is growing, and demand is increasing--which is part of ORCA's responsibility. The learning curve in any new area of collecting means we all overpay early on, and the internet has made all sellers wiser. I walk through antique malls nowadays and every reel and lure is priced at or above the market. It's a difficult time to buy anything cheap.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Yes , I can tell a difference on e-bay from a few years ago. I think 5 years ago there were a lot less people buying reels on E-bay. The competition seems to be greater these days. The development of such things as automatic bid software has made it more difficult to buy. You almost get the feeling when you do buy something that either you paid too much for it or everybody else perceived it with a lesser actual value than you . I've always felt I could never recoup my costs if I wanted to sell. That is one reason I have no desire to sell.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

The vast majority of reels in my collection I have paid $50 or less for. Many of these reels would have cost me a lot more but I have come to two conclusions in 15 years of reel collecting. 1) The secret of success is knowledge and perseverance. I have bought many, many nice reels by knowing what foot plate goes with what maker, or what trade name was sold by what trade house. 2) No matter how much I want a particular reel, if I am patient another one will eventually come by. This is important to reel collectors on a budget. I've seen a ton of reels (literally) I'd love to buy, but the price was too high. So many times 6 months to a year later, the same reel showed up at 1/2 or even 1/4 of the price I was itching to pay earlier.

Sounds like you are doing great! And 600 reels is nothing to sneeze at...and its growing, which is what makes it fun!

I find as much joy in a bizarre $10 spincast reel as I do in a nineteenth century brass reel (I collect both).

-- Dr. Todd
Kelly L
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Kelly L »

I must say that I am pretty much on that same level...50 or less. Usually 38-45 or so. I have seen some good deals, and I have seen outrageous prices. I don't have as much knowledge for the right feet and stuff, as I am just learning about vintage reels. I have bought reels for say 42 dollars that could be sold for 90, or more. I have learned quite a bit over the last few months about vintage fly reels. But I still have a very long way to go. I am not very keen on taking every last piece apart either, as I am afraid I will not get it back together right. As far as conventional reels go, I really like the Abu Garcia stuff made in Sweden only. I especially like the Ambassadeur, and Record.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Dr. Todd: You have much more knowledge than the average collector. You either wrote the book or you know what's in the book or you sell the book. I wouldn't know a good deal if it hit me between the eyes. I just love it when somebody sees my website and thinks because I collect I know something about all reels. I usually let them know I know nothing and say I can refer you to someone who can answer your questions. Have you ever noticed I have sent a few people seeking information in your direction?
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Jonathan,

Yes, I have noticed that, and I've tried to help everyone who sends a question -- but you are overestimating my reel knowledge. The reel experts are guys like Wallace Carney, Stu Lawson, Bob Miller, Bill Sonnett, Warren Platt, Ron Gast, Steve Vernon, Jim Schottenham, Phil White, Henry Caldwell, John Elder, Ben Wright, Dick Braun, etc. (ORCA is full of super knowledgable people). I also think you're underestimating your own reel knowledge. You can't build a collection like that and not know a lot about reels!

No one knows everything about every reel. Start small -- what does a Pflueger reel foot look like? A Hendryx reel foot? A Montague? Learn a couple, then add to that information, and before long you'll know more than 99.9% of the people on eBay, and you'll find a nice Kopf or Conroy for a song as a result.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

I agree, those guys are experts but I still include you in that bunch. For general questions and reel history you are up there with the best. Right now I couldn't identify any reel by the seat. I will try to work on that. I have bought bunches of books on fishing collectibles. I have all of Russell Lewis's books on collectible fishing tackle. He used to be an O.R.C.A. member but I never see his name on the roster anymore. After buying most, I figured out he is a professor where I went to school back in the dark ages. I have also figured out to learn much from book you have to read them. I never was an avid reader. I do enjoy looking at the pictures though. I wasn't a top notch student. If I knew everything that is in all of the books I have on reel collecting, I would be knowledgeable. I am trying to learn more, but in my old age I am a slow learner. Sometimes it becomes a matter of motivation. A few years back I decided I would try rod building . After building one which had one eye way out of line from the others, I now have 5 kits sitting in the basement waiting motivation.
Clay
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Clay »

Jonathan- I bought a couple hundred reels on ebay around 12 years ago. I wasn't very discriminating when it came to condition- I was recovering from a serious illness, and buying vintage reels was the next best thing to actually going out fishing.
Ebay was different then. Whatever you bid is what you paid. If you bid $100, and the next lower bid was $35, you still paid $100. There were bid-bots then, and I used a stopwatch to try (and sometimes) beat them. Many of the reels weren't sold by collectors, but fell into "Dad or Grandpa's old reel". Stu Lawson's Price Guide was pretty much the Bible on what a reel would sell for. That seems to have changed quite a bit; many of the sellers are dealers in vintage tackle, or collectors.
For the past few months I've been selling off a lot of my collection. I have no room to display them, would rather they belong to someone who can display and enjoy them, and can use the money. I think there are fewer bidders now, but more bids. Higher end reels are much more common (especially in November) but prices have gone up. Other reels that were scare then (green Marhoffs, Supremes, and Ocean City) are much more common now, and prices are a lot lower.
Of course, I've been re-bitten by the collecting bug, but am spending my money on the reels I really like- KY reels, tournament reels, and filling in holes in my Meisselbach casting reels collection. In short, if you really like a reel, then buy it, but don't expect many bargains..
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

Like Mr. Kring, I guess you can call me a blue collar kind of guy. There's a little bug
that reminds me how hard I had to work to get what I have, which isn't much, so
paying a lot of money for anything is kept in check. I do have 650 or so reels, mostly
blue collar, with a few JVH's mixed in, and each and every one of them is pleasing to
look at as far as I'm concerned. I envy those fellas that have the means to own
some of these wonderful jewels, but I don't think it's in the cards for me.

Tom DuRose