Reels named after STATES

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Reels named after STATES

Post by Dale Noll »

Another Project;

Makeing Photo list of Non-Level-Wind reels with a State Imprint on the Headplate or Tailplate. There are only three in my collection. Wonder how many more there are. Thanks for anyone's help adding to this list.

Illinois:

Michigan:

Wyoming:

robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Re: Reels named after STATES

Post by robert ellis »

Hi Dale, the United States Reels were sold by the VIM Co. Chicago, we have 4 different versions of Bronson's trade reels, the Penn, Indiana, Illionios and the Ohio. Your other two look to be Monty's! We show these reels in the Bronson site under Trade Reels! DR. Todd has a good article about them in his Fishing for History site, that info is in our site with the rest of this! May I use your pics of the Michigan and the Wyomy in our site, :bow:
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Robert:

Glad to hear from you. Sure missed your participation on this forum. Hope you continue to get better, and help keep this forum as active as possible.

You can use any of my photos for your site. However, they are not too good. As I get more time, I hope to provide with better quality photos of 4 different views of each reel.

The photos in your site are so clear and well done that it will be tough to get comparable quality. Harvey once sent me info on his light box photo system. Guess I need to restudy & upgrade.

Keep posting: Dale
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I use sometimes just a dollar store Styrofoam cooler, natural sun is good, but some times hard to find? get a desk mount natural light from a hobby store / Walmart shoot that light into that box! The camera needs to be steady on a tri-pod or a hard surface, its all about shutter speed, light and steadiness, sometimes I use a flash, sometimes not! just depends on the reflection of your subject! :wink:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Montague also made a Maine.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The "California Free Spool" was also made by Montague.
Mark
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

This might be branching into a sub-category of a subdivision :roll: but I once had a Montague reel marked Lexington (which is the town in Massachusetts where Minutemen fired "the shot heard 'round the world" or the city in Kentucky, the town in Indiana, etc. etc., depending on where you're from.
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Found another State Reel

The Minnesota

Note that this reel also has the Slide Loop for "level Wind". I guess Don would call this a Monty.

Dale
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Here's a California

Post by Richard Lodge »

currently on the 'Bay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-Free ... 232e35f1e9
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Thanks Richard :bow: Mark is this the Monty you have seen? I think I will ask the seller for a picture at auction end! :roll:
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

This seems to be an earlier model than the one I saw. It's been quite a few years, so I'm not completely certain.
Mark