South Bend Model 23 info needed

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
bvandeuson
Frequent Board Poster

Re: South Bend Model 23 info needed

Post by bvandeuson »

My hangy down thingy is a 1400, no button but you turn the handle back 1/2 turn to release the pin after you pick up the line with a forefinger. Don't know how long they lasted, but I got my first 1400 in 1957 for Christmas when I was 13, and thought I was in high cotton compared to casting the already old thumb buster on a clunky steel rod.

As an active user of vintage tackle, I can tell you that reel paired with a Shakespeare Howald spinning rod of the same vintage is one sweet casting outfit.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Been working in on it for a little while now and finally got 'er done, so I thought I'd get the entire Shakespeare made "Punch Button" Clan together for a group photo in case anyone is ever curious as to their individual appearances.

Left to right: Shakespeare 1875; Shakespeare 1725; South Bend 23; Sears 535.39730; Ted Williams 430

Tom
Simsc
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Simsc »

Hi Dick, I’m new here and found your post while researching the South Bend Spin 23 reel. I have it New in the box. I recently contacted South Bend looking for info. They directed me to a link to this site from theirs. They think it’s pre 1958. I have images uploaded but not sure how to include.
Best regards,
Clyde Sims
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Shakespeare made the reel for South Bend. The "Punch Buttons", as they were called, were introduced in 1964. They were manufactured for just a limited time, only couple of years.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027