Questions about a Shakespeare Wondereel FC 1870

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
geomagno
Big ORCA Fan

Questions about a Shakespeare Wondereel FC 1870

Post by geomagno »

I inherited this reel from my dad and would like to clean it up and use it but, I don't know how it works. There is no bail or thumb switch and the top doesn't feel like it can be pushed down to cast, so I'm at a loss. And I don't want to start pulling it apart without an idea of what it's supposed to do.
Can someone tell me how to cast this thing and if anyone has a digital manual or exploded parts list, it would be much appreciated. I can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qwYwrz][img]http ... .jpg[/img]Shakespeare 1870 Wondereel by katmandu102, on Flickr[/url]
Dick Janak
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Questions about a Shakespeare Wondereel FC 1870

Post by Dick Janak »

1st of all I think the reel goes on the bottom of the rod.I believe that the reel works by turning the handle backwards to put it into the casting mode which makes the line pickup pin retract into the spinner head.When you turn the handle forward it will pick up the line and retrieve.Looking at you photo you will need more than a cleaning.I probably have the schematic for this reel and will get back to you....Dick Janak
geomagno
Big ORCA Fan

Post by geomagno »

Thanks for the reply Dick.
If I'm understanding you correctly: reverse wind the handle, pin retracts, line is free to cast?
If I do this with the anti-reverse button off, the line will unwind but I don't feel the pin retract to free the line. Of course, with the anti-reverse button on...I can't turn the handle backward. Would I be expected to flip the anti-reverse switch with each cast?
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I've got a Shakespeare 1810 which I think operates basically the same. If Dick doesn't come up with papers, e-mail me and I can scan and e=mail mine to you. Simple reel to use once you get used to it.
Patrick Z
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Patrick Z »

I have one that I serviced a couple of years ago. As you have noted, the anti-reverse must be off to back up the handle and cast the reel. The anti-reverse was not meant to be used except when a fish was on (this is generally true for most spinning and spincast reels of that era).

As an aside, I recall the levelwind mechanism being unique; the extra long pinion gear actually oscillated in and out with the shaft. This was made possible due to the adoption of face gears - the earlier bevel gear models used the more conventional system.
geomagno
Big ORCA Fan

Post by geomagno »

If I take the spool cover off and watch the pin, it does not retract when I wind in reverse but it will retract if I push it with my finger. Maybe there is a mechanical issue I will discover when I take it apart.
So, is this reel worth the time? I don't see much about them online. Is that because they were not well made and didn't sell well?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

More than likely it needs to be completely broken down, cleaned and relubed, with all the old stiff grease and gunk removed. It probably could use some new line, too, and obviously needs a new handle, but that is par for that era Shakespeare & South Bend handle knobs. I would think you should easily be able to get it working correctly with a little time and cleaning. They're not complicated but you can take some pictures with your digital as you tear it down in case you can't remember how to put it back together. They are not a high dollar collectible but they are nostalgic.

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

geomagno wrote:If I take the spool cover off and watch the pin, it does not retract when I wind in reverse but it will retract if I push it with my finger. Maybe there is a mechanical issue I will discover when I take it apart.
IIRC there's a fine coil spring that should retract the arm with the pin. Cleaning and re-oiling the parts under the rotor should fix it. The entire reel likely needs it also.
geomagno wrote:So, is this reel worth the time? I don't see much about them online. Is that because they were not well made and didn't sell well?
Shakespeare made that style reel for about 50 years in various models. It's kind of a niche reel that has fans in isolated areas of the country. Here in MI it's popular with steelheaders on long, whippy rods with light line.
It requires a rod with a different grip/seat configuration than a standard spinning rod because there's not enough space between the reel and the rod for your fingers. One grips the rod ahead of the reel, thus, the reel seat must be placed farther back on the grip. Picture a spinning rod with the longer cork toward the tip and the shorter cork toward the butt, or a rod with a sliding reel seat that can be positioned anywhere along a long smooth cork grip.
Personally, I prefer them over a spinning reel... less to get line tangled on and you don't even have to look at the reel to cast, which was one of Shakespeare's advertising points.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

A Tennessee type cork handle with slip rings works good, too. I always thought the brake adjustment by tightening the spool housing was an interesting, to say the least, idea. I'd think that adjustment scenario would take awhile to get used to. I suppose, like anything else, though, eventually it becomes automatic.

Tom
oldreelsrule
Big ORCA Fan

Post by oldreelsrule »

Just got this at moving sale, would love to have schematic! where do I put email address? thanks!
oldreelsrule
Big ORCA Fan

Post by oldreelsrule »

just got this at moving sale, would love the schematic! where do I put email address? thanks!