Jigmaster Question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Jigmaster Question

Post by Wayne B. »

I was interested in determining the approx year of production of my Jigmaster. It is dark maroon, plastic spool, posts not spacer bars, and a cheap looking dime-size ID decal. I have a light blue box stating metal spool, and I have an older green box with the surf fisherman. It would be nice if one of these boxes was correct for the reel, but I doubt it.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Jigmaster Question

Post by john elder »

Mike or Ray will know....interesting to me is the decal! I've had over 50 jigmasters from what i thought was every era, but have never seen the decal....all of mine had the logo cast into the side plate.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

That decal makes me think they hired a designer from Ocean City, then quickly fired him. :wink: (Sorry OC fans, just a joke!)
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Ive had many JigMasters, not one with that decal! Interested to here some info on it..
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Wayne,

I have seen 4 or 5 on Ebay. Saw one with the sticker on the head plate , in the box with all the goodies and a #22 catalog which was the introduction year. Mike is working over the weekend so he probably will not comment until after . Most likely it is a 1959 model .

Ray

ps.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-1st- ... 7675.l2557
Sold on Ebay Dec.2014
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I agree with Ray. The sticker models were first year models, or at least very early models.

Looking at the catalogs does not help. The EBay ad that Ray pictured is a 1959, introduction year model. I would think mold plugs were not made yet, so stickers filled the need until plugs were made. Makes the reel a more interesting collectible, if the sticker is in good shape.

Probably the most difficult Jigmaster 500 to find with the box is the 1959 500M with the two piece 500M labeled box. The catalog does not state an availability of a 500M model, only the availability of a metal spool at the extra cost of a couple of bucks. I know that 1959 boxes were made with 500M label in the single spool size shorter box. They are very hard to find. I only know because I sold one years ago and have been kicking myself over that sale for years. :doh: :doh: :doh: I have never seen another one.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mike and Ray:

Thanks for the responses.

By the way, here's another one and it does have the two-piece box like mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1st-MOD ... 566d89341e

Thanks all!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

BTW Wayne, the old green box you have with the surf fisherman is perfect for this reel. It should be the 500 model number, not the 500M. If your box has the 500M model number please PM me and "Lets Make a Deal".................... :mrgreen:
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

No "M".... :Bawl:
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Oh, well, it was worth asking but that does mean it is a good box for your reel, especially if the price on the box is $17.50 :)
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mike:

It is $17.50! And I just found the correct extra spool NIB.

Always appreciate your insight and support for my interests in Penn reels.

Stay safe and stay warm. Sounds like winter is coming at you pretty hard again the next couple days!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Oh Yea, we are being hammered . Today was the primer with about 4 inches, at midnight the real blizzard starts. Two to three feet by tomorrow at noon. New York will be closed until Wednesday. :shock:
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mike:

Hope all is going well! Warm and safe?

How's this combo?

Thanks for your input.

Wayne
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

How's this combo?
That's a Keeper......... :mrgreen:
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Mike I know we were talking on Tani but I just found thos thread and figured I would post here too.
I have a Jigmaster 500 with boat scene box. I always thought the surf fisherman pre-dated this box, I never questioned it. The more searching I do Im starting to wonder because I cannot find another one. The surf fisherman box shows up often.

-Chris R.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I have a Jigmaster 500 with boat scene box. I always thought the surf fisherman pre-dated this box, I never questioned it. The more searching I do Im starting to wonder because I cannot find another one. The surf fisherman box shows up often.
I would say that is a very odd scene to have on a 1959 box. That scene was used in 1957. I guess there are no real rules here. I am looking at the box in your photo, so it is real. Why it exists I do not know. I have never noticed this before. If that was in my collection I would keep it in the special category, just like I keep this one. Strange items do happen.

mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food