Celebrate ORCA's 25th with THE BEST OF THE REEL NEWS BOOK!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Celebrate ORCA's 25th with THE BEST OF THE REEL NEWS BOOK!

Post by Teal »

Hey ORCAns! It's our 25th Anniversary, and what better way to celebrate this milestone than by buying the Limited Edition The History of the Fishing Reel: The Best of the Reel News, 1991-2015 book! 398 pages of Fishing Reel goodness that serves to chronicle the history of the fishing reel, the history of The Reel News, and the history of ORCA all in one incredible book! Contains approximately 150 articles written by ORCA members and published in The Reel News. It is dvided into eleven sections covering everything from baitcasting, spinning, fly, saltwater, and spincast reels to primary documents, reel history, and miscellaneous information. It also has a comprehensive index of all articles ever published in The ORCA Newsletter and the Reel News (thanks to Steve Vernon and Roger Schulz!) We tried to include one article from everyone who has ever contributed a research article to ORCA.

Taken as a whole, this book represents a graduate course in fishing reel history, as well as a must have for any serious collector or dealer of vintage fishing tackle. The book is edited and annotated by Todd E.A. Larson, and has appreciations by founder Michael Nogay and current ORCA president John H. Elder.

This image is the softcover; the hardcover has high quality moroccan grain with gold foil stamping. Here is the die stamp (will look so much better than this).

The first run Limited Ed. hardcover will be limited to 50 signed and numbered copies, and of course, royalties go to ORCA. So help us all celebrate our 25th and get the best compilation of articles on fishing reels every published!

More information and pre-ordering can be found here:

http://www.whitefishpress.com/newreleases.asp

I suspect this run will sell out fast so order quickly (get the limited package and save money!).

-- Dr. Todd
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Re: Celebrate ORCA's 25th with THE BEST OF THE REEL NEWS BOO

Post by colby sorrells »

Got to get this one. Thanks for the effort. Great way to support ORCA.

Colby Sorrells
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Got my hardcover ordered. :D Thanks to all that made this book possible, and especially to those of you that put it together. :bow:

Tom
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dr Todd... The Club thanks you for not only the inspiration to make this book happen but for throwing your body on it and making it happen in an incredibly short time! Thanks also go to Roger and Steve for putting together the detailed index of all the Reel News articles from the very beginning. Having many of the seminal articles in one place is invaluable, but that index will allow us to quickly find all the articles published on every reel. No more thumbing through 25 years of Reel Newsi to find that one bit of info!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thank you Dr Todd, Roger, Steve, and John!
Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy
Super Board Poster

Post by Dick Braun,that-zebco-guy »

I have mine on order.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

A complete index of REEL NEWS articles from the beginning to publishing is AWESOME!! Will the articles be organized by initial printing date, by reel or maker, by author, some other way?? It would be really nice if the past articles (and future ones) were uploaded and were available to paid members. Would be even better if those articles could be searched by a member using key words or whatever to quickly find information...kinda like the search function on this board.
Super Board Poster

It's not all of the articles just 150 of the ones published over the years. Todd said it would be at least 10 books with 150 each to get them all. Your suggestion on the search is a good one though, would you be willing to take on such a task of doing all 1500 plus articles for the research side of it?
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

scottorock wrote:A complete index of REEL NEWS articles from the beginning to publishing is AWESOME!! Will the articles be organized by initial printing date, by reel or maker, by author, some other way?? It would be really nice if the past articles (and future ones) were uploaded and were available to paid members. Would be even better if those articles could be searched by a member using key words or whatever to quickly find information...kinda like the search function on this board.
That's the plan, Scott, that's the plan. By the way, do you have web editing experience?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

The book only has 150 articles but the index has everything listed. Primary ID is by subject with authors, title and vol/pages. We will keep this updated annually.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I would love to have the time to take on such a project...but at this time in my life there aren't enough seconds in the day. I haven't seen a movie or full TV episode in years! And Brian, I have been researching web page design and editing but I have no experience.
Super Board Poster

I have been researching web page design and editing but I have no experience.

Is kind of like fishing, until you grab a rod/reel and wet a line you really don't know how to fish. The nice thing about the club is being 25yrs old chance's are we will be around long enough for you to take on the project and complete it some where down the stream. :)
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I just pre-ordered my copy. Thanks to all who made this book possible, especially Dr. Todd.
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Preordered my copy also. The Reel News article index alone will likely pay for this book with time saved. Can't tell you how many times I look through stacks of mags looking for that article I read years ago.

Thank you to all who contributed to this work. :bow:

William
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Hey folks! Not too late to get your Limited Edition hardcover! They are SCHEDULED to arrive on Monday, just in time for me to take them to Miami! Get yours before they are gone! You won't be disappointed.
Super Board Poster

Already have it ordered, can't wait.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

All hardcovers have been shipped except for the ones that Roger has, which you can get one directly from the ORCA store!

Which means the softcover is now shipping! 39.95 for a softcover copy of this book is a STEAL. You can't go wrong ... order your softcover at:

http://www.whitefishpress.com

and start your reading!

-- Dr. Todd
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Before someone asks, NO, Marion The Librarian can not take on the task you tried to get Scott to do. My computer skills are "Barely" and "Barely Functioning" I have not yet recovered from the effects of my wife telling
me, do not volunteer to be the Librarian. Now it's , I told you so!!!!!!! Jon
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I do not believe we should be concerning ourselves with a future project until we finally realize the full value of what has been created here. This work sounds absolutely awesome and I cannot wait until I see it. The only possible option I had was to order the package, in order to save a hardcover edition for the future because I really feel that I am going to wear out the softcover. :)
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

My set, #5, arrived unscathed in today's mail. :cool Can't wait to start going through and reading it. I can already tell it contains a lot of great articles and information that I have never had the good fortune to read and/or absorb.

Tom
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I just received my two copies today and was blown away by how much knowledge is within the covers and the fantastic manner in which Dr. Todd presents it.

Every ORCA member, past and present, should feel very proud with this masterpiece. No other national collectors' club has anything close.

My only regret is that ORCA has no higher honor to bestow than Honorary Life Member, because Dr. Todd would deserve it.

Thanks.

Mike N.
Robyn Summerlin
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Robyn Summerlin »

Mine arrived today--thanks, Todd! Can I hire whoever wrapped it to do my gift wrapping next Xmas? :lol:
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

That's funny, Robyn! I was thinking the same thing!
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

What Mike N said! :bow:
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Christmas is on its way to my place as we speak. I can't wait to unwrap my present. I think I was pretty good last year.