TUBULAR FRAME TAKE APART REEL

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Jack S
Frequent Board Poster

TUBULAR FRAME TAKE APART REEL

Post by Jack S »

This is an 80 yard free-spool reel that is well-made and lacking any manufacturers marks. The end plates unscrew from the tubular frame for an easy take apart feature. It's nickle plated and a neat little reel. Would you have any ideas as to its identity? Thanks for looking (and sorry 'bout the poor pic my scanner takes).

Jack S
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jack, that's the free spool version of the early Ocean City E-Z-2 Part. The first versions had that nice "S" style handle and nut. That handle and nut are also the same as used on the last versions of the Rochester Quick-Apart.
The evolution of that reel as I see it is:
Carlton 4 multiplier (c1904-1908) >
Rochester Reel Co. 4 Multiplier (Made in Rochester NY 1908-09) >
Rochester Quick Apart (Frost, NYC - contract manufacturer ? 1910-192?) >
Sturdi-Bilt EZ2 Part (Meisselbach? c1920) >
Ocean City E-Z-2 Part (1924-2?).
Jack S
Frequent Board Poster

Ocean City E-Z-2 Part

Post by Jack S »

Hey, Phil;

That's quite a history lesson! I noticed you listed a Sturdi-Bilt EZ2 Part as possibly made by Meisselbach in the early 20's. Would you have a pic of this reel? I would also be very interested in knowing why you think there is a Meisselbach connection! Thanks for your reply - it is very informative!

Jack S
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Sturdi-Bilt

Post by Reel Geezer »

Jack and anyone else that is interested: Here is a photo of the two Sturdi-Bilt reels that I own. Both are new in box. Both were appropriated by the foreman at the Meisselbach factory when the factory was closed down and moved to Ohio. The one on the left is identical to the Rochester 4 Multiple. The one on the right is the same, except that the rear plate does not rotate to apply the click - there is a button; and the foot is a plate screwed on cross pillars instead of a stamped piece. THEN... the rear bearing is identical to those used on the Meisselbach Takaparts and Triparts and the front bearing is a conical permanent piece also similar to those used on the Takapart and Tripart.

Due to where these reels were found, the similar parts, and the fact that I believe (but have no solid evidence) that Meisselbach manufactured all the Rochester reels made for Frost, I think it is a good bet that Meisselbach made these EZY 2 Part reels. Whoever made them, they are neat reels. The one on the left also has the papers included, but there is no indication of a manufacturer. I have found that Sturdi-Bilt is a trade name that was used by Montgomery Wards but do not know if this is the case here.

Post by Guest »

thanks for the info, Phil. I guess one alternative might have been that they bought these reels to look for patent infringements. It would seem that the foreman should have reported a goodly stack of these reels if they were making them? if just two, then they might have just been checking out the competition? At any rate, they certainly would have found a lot of billable fodder for the lawyers! I need one of these!
Jack S
Frequent Board Poster

Sturdi-Bilt reel

Post by Jack S »

And I need the other one! Most excellent pair of reels! Thank you for the "food for thought". Your two reels also have a slight resemblance to the round pillar Takapart (1906) in their general construction. It looks like the headplate might unscrew from the frame.

Thanks again, Phil, for your expertise!

Jack S
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Hey, me too!

Post by Len Sawisch »

I got a German Silver reel like this, with the back plate that turns to engage the click. As soon as I figure out my new Mac, I'll post pictures.
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

Guest Opinion

Post by Reel Geezer »

To the Guest: I have considered the options that he points out. However, I guarantee they made that end cap - they weren't considering patent infringements, for nothing on that reel was patented, or similar to any patents, by Meisselbach. As for having a bunch of reels - I don't agree. If they were making the reel the bunch of reels would be with the buyer, not the manufacturer. You might keep one for a sample, but you wouldn't have the inventory - the seller would. Especially if you were the good businessman that Gus Meisselbach was.

Follow the evolution to the next step also. Ocean City starts making a similar reel with an almost identical name, using the identical handle and knob. They also start to produce other reels formerly made by Meisselbach - the Amateur #1 and the Experts. Also remember that Meisselbach was always advertising for all types of contract machine work throughout the 1900-1920 period. Is this all coincidence? I think not, but I could be wrong. One of these days I'll find evidence... IF I live long enough.
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Is this the Rochester Version?

Post by Len Sawisch »

I think this is Rochester, per the Geezer's observations. Am I right or what? Says Neptune 4 Multiple and Patent Appl'd for on the front, and Quick-A-Part on the back. Image :?

Foot is one piece; click engages by a 1/4 turn of the back plate - neatest click I've seen in a long time!
Reel Geezer
Ultra Board Poster

I'd vote Rochester (whoever they are)

Post by Reel Geezer »

Len: I'd say that was a reel made identical to the Rochester, especially since it says Quick Apart. However, it might have been made for someone other than Frost to retail and that's why it says Neptune. I sure don't know for sure.
:arrow: One thing I've learned about that click - you'd better try them out before you pay full retail for those reels. Many have broken click springs, or other missing parts. When buying on eBay most sellers don't even know how to make the click function.