Pflueger Akron

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wakarjan
Big ORCA Fan

Pflueger Akron

Post by wakarjan »

I would like to know more about this Pflueger Akron Reel and its worth. I can tell that it's a prewar reel seeing the flathead screws on the cross plate. It inscribes as:

841,796, 1,450,738
1,579,076 1,583,764
1,637,437 1,691,622
PATENTS PENDING

Thanks.

scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Akron

Post by scottorock »

Lots of replacement parts (line guide, screws, end caps) and barely any plating left. It's worth what you paid for it. I say line her up and get her wet! Probably still spins like a top!
wakarjan
Big ORCA Fan

Post by wakarjan »

Well i will tell you what not a one single part is replaced.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Like Scott said, fish it, or set it on the shelf if it has sentimental value. You're looking @ $5, to maybe $15 on a very, very good day.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hi, Jan, with that number of patent #s ( 6 plus pat pending indication), that dates tht side plates to late 1928-early 1929. By late 1929, there were 9 patent numbers shown...this, from a book by Pflueger historian Bob Miller (bulldog had the last name wrong!).

Although fairly early, the boys are not giving it much value because of condition and the fact that they made and sold a great many Akrons...so, just no rarity. The issue about replaced parts comes from the differential wear on the parts, making some appear to be from a later reel that does not have the same nickel plating characteristics as the sideplates.. From the looks of things, someone tried to clean it with a buffing wheel. That removed the nickel plating from the side plates, but not those screws, which must mean they are either steel or nickel silver. Although the reel is clean, you can see that such treatment caused a "shadow" around all the protruding parts where the nickel plate was not removed. Too bad re cosmetics, but still very fishable!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

The six patents date to early 1929. However, the face plate rim pattern was not present until 1931. Probably parts of two reels. 1931 model was also damascene finish.

Bad Bob
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

The Akron reel was a dandy mass produced "working angler's" type baitcast reel because it was well made, durable, reliable, and relatively inexpensive (so the average working stiff could afford to have one).

Plus the parts over extended periods were interchangeable so it isn't unusual to find a reel with parts from different eras - often done by anglers themselves to keep a working tool on the water! So as Scott noted and others have confirmed, this reel is a product of cross- fertilization - even down to screws that don't all match (see bottom two screws on picture three for best example).

Given how much you have learned already about your reel, and about the knowledge base of the folks here, I would say the reel has proved to be pretty valuable.

By the way, always nice to see a new collector from Michigan. Stop by when you are in the Lansing area and we can talk reels . . .

Len
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Man, I prefer fishing with the older Pfluegers with the straight cut gears (Akrons, Summits, Nobbys, etc) as opposed to the later ones. They are so durable, dependable, reliable....they are just ABLE! They are some tuff birds that just dont give up.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

The 1931 model Akron with the damascene finish only has 6 patents on the back.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

The six patent thing is interesting. Some of the 9 patents shown on the earlier Akron actually applied only to the Supreme, not the Akron, hence they took those off by 1931. Plus, as far as I can tell, Pflueger only made the damascene finish Akron in 1931. That reel is a combo but still is very Pflueger and very fishable.

Aloha and Feliz Ano Nuevo! BB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Are they the same six numbers in the two cases??
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Dang it Deke! Now I'll have to go out in the cold and look at my reels. All seriousness aside, maybe I can find out by reading my own book and not have to go out in the cold (first cold day we have had so far thanks to El Niño) Back shortly.

BB
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

1931 damascene model had same 6 nos. as the 1929 model.

You know, that little book sure comes in handy!

BB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yeah, but i should have kept reading! Didn't figure on a back mutation from 9 to 6! Thanks, BB!
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

"damascene finish"... Is that the pattern etched, engraved, stamped on the edge of the head plate cover? Or something else?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

The end plate faces were finished with very subtle swirls. These were extremely shallow and apparently easily worn and consequently the finish was short-lived if the reel was handled much. Webster defines as " decorated with wavy etched patterns". The pattern on the face plate rim is deeper and lasts two days longer than forever no matter how many casts you make.

Long live the Akron (and the Supreme, and the Summit etc...)!!!
BB
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

That makes sense. Neither of my Akrons have that. I do have two Summits with fancy end plates. Is that what you're referring to as damascene?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Nope. The damascene relief is MUCH more shallow-faintly etched. Since I am photo-posting ignorant I can't show a pic of one. Anyone want to help Jimbofish with a pic either of a reel, one out of my book (several) or from the 1931 Pflueger catalog?

BB
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Here ya go!

1931 Pflueger Catalog

Bad Bob's Book
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

OK, now I know what it is. Thanks.

I take it that this was only used on the 1931 model, which might explain why I've never seen it.
bvandeuson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by bvandeuson »

It's called engine turning in the machinist trade, used for decorating all manner of metal parts.

BB
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I just opened up a Pflueger Atlapac this AM and the whole inside finish of the front and back plate is done in that swirl pattern! I have not seen that before...did it used to also be on the outside of the plates and just worn off or was it only done internally?? The question then follows that if you opened up the Akron, would the swirl pattern be on the inner surface??
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

John, it wasn't ever used on the exterior of the Atlapac or other saltwater reels and that reel is the only one I know of that Pflueger applied it to on the interior. Dan Brock explained that it was done to hold oil in the reel better. We talked about it a little before in this thread
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David M »

Here's a nice "engine turning" video and link from our Reel Talk member, Eclectic Guy.

http://www.eclecticangler.com/pages/nov ... ewsletter/
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

David

That is one cool video!

Thanks for posting it.