South Bend ABL Reel Reassembly

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

South Bend ABL Reel Reassembly

Post by Bill Muth »

Before I decide to just destroy this reel, looking for some remedial assistance on how to reassemble a South Bend 1201 ABL reel. I'm pretty sure I have the spring attached correctly, but I cannot get any tension on the ABL bar when I assemble it. I don't have much invested in the reel, and am not above taking a sledge hammer to it.
David M
Advanced Board Poster

Re: South Bend ABL Reel Reassembly

Post by David M »

Sorry Bill, I can't assist you with a spring remedy, but...

Bill Muth wrote:,and am not above taking a sledge hammer to it.
That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on Reel Talk, and that's sayin' a lot. Classic!

:yay :jump: :lol: :jump: :yay
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Len S. can tell you. He's an expert at it!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

The spring being attached correctly is 75% of the battle. If I remember correctly the 1201 has the two bail wires and has the head ring spacer. Sometimes you have to bend the lever in to make contact with the end of the bent bail wire. With the head ring in place, position the head plate behind (counter clockwise ) and while pushing in, turn the head plate (clockwise) into position over the pillar ends. The object being to get the tip of the lever on top of the end of the bail wire. Sorry can't post pics at the moment but I hope this kinda helps. If not, let me know and I'll post some photos.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

I am now convinced that I must not have the spring attached correctly. A pic would definitely help. Everything popped out of the reel when I originally opened the reel to clean it, so I didn't get a "before" look at the setup. Thanks guys.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I'll get you a pic in the AM, Bill. No worries, we'll get her up and running!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Thanks Scott, much appreciated. The reel thanks you, too, because I think it senses impending doom after the next failed attempt.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I found a 1201 reel downstairs.

your spring should look like this. If not let me know. Its the simplest spring SB used.

Slip her on like this....

The tip of the lever needs to be on top of the end of the bail wire for tension.

Like mentioned earlier, start the head plate before the pillar ends so when you twist it into place the lever should end up where it needs to be. If for some reason the lever doesnt make contact, you could bend/pull the lever out a bit to help them connect. ALSO, after the head plate assembly slips into place you MUST hold the reel like this to keep pressure. You can check the tension now as well to make sure you're good to go. Dont change your grip until you get atleast a few screws in place to keep her all together.

Hope this helps!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

am not above taking a sledge hammer to it. & I think it senses impending doom after the next failed attempt.
I think I heard Madden scream :shock: all the way out here on the plains. :lol:

Well done, Scott. You may have saved another one from being shipped to the Kring household. :jester
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

You are treading on thin ice "Tommy"!
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

It looks like I am doing everything correctly. My issue is the tag end of the spring. If I wrap it around to the bottom of the lever, I don't get any tension on the ABL bail. If I don't wrap it, there does not seem to be an effective way to tuck it inside the headplate spacer.

scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Bill, that spring is used on the SB reels with a full head cap (no spacer). Photo from a Super South Bend 1300. Which explains why it POPPED when you took her apart. With some patience you could ease that tag end under the spacer (I think there might be a recess for it, I'd have to go back and check). If you want the other spring, let me know. I have dozens of them.
Bill Muth
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Muth »

Finally got it back together after some gyrations to keep the tag end of the spring jammed inside the spacer during reassembly. Thanks for the help guys!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks Scott for this timeless tutorial, without which I would have been totally screwed this morning.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Screwed or sprung? If there's really a difference....ha!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York