DONATE YOUR REELS TO OUR eBAY AUCTION!!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

DONATE YOUR REELS TO OUR eBAY AUCTION!!

Post by bettybarr »

Members and Nonmembers:

We are now listing all donated reels on our non-profit eBay auction site.

This category exempts us from the usual eBay fees, allowing us to keep 100% of the sales. We believe we can raise more money for the Club in this venue rather than our traditionally held Spring and Fall auctions because eBay reaches a worldwide audience.
Please donate your reels -- even those that are missing a part or are broken or has a mechanical defect. We can also use a group of such reels to auction in bulk.
You may choose to take your own photographs and write the description as long as the photographs are of high quality and the description accurately reflects the condition of the reel.

If you prefer not to take photographs, send your reels to Wayne Benson. See the instructions below.

The Club needs the support of everyone. Donating reels to sell on eBay is a great way to make the public aware of ORCA and support your organization. Your gift is tax deductible and you will receive a letter from Roger Schulz stating the value of your contribution.
We all win!!

Send any correspondence regarding donation of reels and where to mail them to
ORCAREELS@gmail.com

Thank you!!
Betty
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Re: DONATE YOUR REELS TO OUR eBAY AUCTION!!

Post by Don Champion »

Is this going to replace the ORCA sales on the ORCA site? I would think you would get a better return there.
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Yes. This is replacing previous sale venues. It is not a permanent decision but a way to see if we can find a place to maximize the profits.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The three reels that ORCA currently has listed on eBay aren't even being sold in an auction format. They're priced at super high retail (or more) with a "Best Offer" feature (basically like we've been discussing in another thread about eBay). The most glaring example is the unmarked raised pillar Pflueger priced at $49 ( for a $15-20 reel, at best!). This really turns off potential buyers, especially for reels that are not that valuable or scarce to begin with. If they don't sell the first week and people see these common reels listed again at the same inflated price, nobody is going to touch them. I say just run them through auction style, with a low opener, and move on. Come on, they're donated reels! This is just my opinion, of course.
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I can't imagine we would come out any better financially on eBay than we would in our own ORCA auctions. I know I would bid on stuff in an ORCA auction that I didn't even want, just knowing it was helping the club and I know other members did likewise. In fact, I was always impressed with the prices realized for items in our auctions. Most items brought prices you could never get on eBay. As it is now, we can no longer even bid on donated items, because they're not being sold in an auction format. Even if they were, I suppose member's bids could then technically be considered "shill" bids? I guess I miss our own auction "experience". It was fun and it was much more fun to donate, too. Just thinking out loud.
Mark
*Note* The last ORCA Benefit Auction brought in over $800.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I will attempt to answer a couple questions that have been raised. And, David and Betty, please correct me if I am wrong.

Like Betty said, selling on Ebay instead of our ORCA Benefit Auctions is a beta program. We are going to try it. If it doesn't appear that we do realize more income, then we will go back to the auctions.
Don Champion wrote:Is this going to replace the ORCA sales on the ORCA site?
Don: If you are referring to our previous auctions on Reel Talk, the answer is yes...Listing on our ORCA ebay site will replace the auctions, at least for a while depending upon results.
wrong99 wrote:The three reels that ORCA currently has listed on eBay aren't even being sold in an auction format.
Mark: Selecting the best way to list an item on Ebay is always an ongoing discussion. David has been using the high "Buy It Now" approach and we have had some success with a couple very pleasant surprises along the way. But also a number of reels have lingered and have had to be relisted, sometimes several times. The "Best Offer" option has generated most of the sales. He is going to start listing at a low auction format price and see how that flies.
wrong99 wrote:This is just my opinion, of course.
And we do value your opinion. Your kind of input will be considered when a final decision is made whether or not to go back to ORCA Benefit Auctions on Reel Talk. After all, the membership experience should weigh heavily in any decision.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks for posting, Wayne. I've always valued what you have to say. I just wish the "Board" might have put this idea before the membership before jumping into it blind. Dozens of members here have extensive experience selling vintage tackle on eBay. I've been doing it myself for 17 years and I'm sure there's many who have been doing it much longer. To me, that would have been the first logical step. There's a right way and wrong way to do this on eBay. You really need to do it the right way right out of the gate, otherwise your credibility as a seller can suffer for a very long time. I admire Dave for taking this on, don't get me wrong. I just think that, collectively, we might have found a better way to do it. I don't understand why the "Board" feels it just can't share ideas with the general membership anymore.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

There is another way that the members here can directly donate their reels and other items to the club independent of any auction but listing them for sale on this board, with the proceeds...or any percentage of the proceeds....to go to the Club. Roger will still write a letter for taxes for any money that is either directly sent to the Club from such sales via paypal or indirectly by later contribution by the seller....something to consider! MHO is that individual auctions could be messy, but if the sale price is fair, the buyer is also free to pay above the value if they deemed it too fair :D
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

It's never too late you help! Send us your suggestions on how we might improve our Ebay presence!

ps: it really helps if you are specific - take a look at our current listings and SOLD listings - let us know what you would do differently. :D
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

wrong99 wrote:Even if they were, I suppose member's bids could then technically be considered "shill" bids?
I know this has been brought up by several people. But I personally don't see this as a problem. The items will be listed on ebay. Members can bid and the rest of the world can bid. No one knows who is bidding, so how can our bids be construed as "shill" bidding. If a member wants to bid up an item above what is thought to be a reasonable value in order to benefit ORCA, who knows and who cares? I just sold what I thought was a $35 to $40 automatic fly reel on ebay that sold for $120. It was a fluke sale, so it does happen...and I didn't think there was shill bidding going on.

This time, just IMHO.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

NJFisherman wrote:It's never too late you help! Send us your suggestions on how we might improve our Ebay presence!

ps: it really helps if you are specific - take a look at our current listings and SOLD listings - let us know what you would do differently. :D
Dave,
Just sell them in a true auction format. Let the entire world determine what they are worth, then move on to the next. Relisting a reel in a BIN format with high retail or higher prices, over and over, becomes an effort in futility. I know if I see the same reel week after week, I become numb to it. I know the idea is to get as much as we can for the club. I get that. Your listings are awesome, well written and with nice photos. So, put it out there for the world to bid on, with a very modest opener and hope for the best. What it brings, after everyone in the world has seen it, is what it brings. Thank you for your efforts. We're lucky to have someone like you step up to the plate.
Mark
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

NJFisherman wrote: ps: it really helps if you are specific - take a look at our current listings and SOLD listings - let us know what you would do differently. :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Reel-Collec ... Sw14xWMWxL

The description should be updated, ei, dates, fees, convention site, etc.

FWIW I always looked forward to the ORCA site auctions because they were different than Ebay.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

gasp! Jimbo is right....that ad still talks about a 2015 membership!!
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

WOW - THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! This is the kind of thing that any member can help with. I like it! I've been doing this 2 years now so it's easy to get in a routine...which can be a problem.

We're going to try $.99 for the next group of reels but we may do some fixed price/make offer too, depending upon the reel and how things go. Also, I have not heard any feedback on what was sold. Too low? Good price?

Check out the sales of Fortescue reels sold in the last 3 months. Our sold for $49 yesterday. The average of comparable reels starting at $.99 went for $34. On the other hand there are those that go high and surprise everyone!

Keep the feedback coming and send your comments to orcareels@gmail.com. Thanks
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

You're welcome.
While I'm on a roll, this is in several listings - we encourage you to join ORCA - click here to see our membership listing.. The "here" link appears to go to an expired listing. Presumably this is also related to the 're-listing' process.
NJFisherman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by NJFisherman »

Jimbofish - I am just back from a fishing trip and saw your other "catch". I will fix shortly. Thanks again!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Hmmmm I'm out...... and why send them all to Wayne? Send your Description and photo to Wayne for posting on E-Bay but package and mail to the winner yourself.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Not complaining here. Not trying to stir anything. Just curious what the latest plan is. Are we not running donated reels through eBay anymore? I've donated a couple since mid-Feb. and haven't seen them listed on eBay. Again, I'm not worried about them. When, where or however they get sold is fine with me, as I know the club will benefit in the end. Just curious. All is good. Not complaining here. Not trying to stir anything...
Mark
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Mark, we are still selling donated reels on ebay. This calendar year we have sold 21 reels and I just sent David Lucas pictures and info on 8 more yesterday so they should be listed soon. Pics and info for your latest generous donation will be sent to him today. The Fortescue you donated earlier this year sold in a Buy It Now format for $49...nice reel and a nice price.

Thanks for your interest and commitment to our donation program. And especially thank you for donating reels to use to generate funds for the club! We need a lot more reels or other items of interest donated by other members to make the program work.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Thank you, Mark and Wayne!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It would appear that we could use membership to step up and donate some reels for ORCA to either sell on eBay or to sell again in our own auction. Since April 12th (5-1/2 weeks!), Dave has sold ONE reel (for $8.00), with nothing else even donated. I don't think this is what we had in mind. Should we still send donations to Wayne? Or Dave?
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Scott has taken over the process....Wayne is still standing by to help...Dave is in retirement (Thanks for all the help, Dave! You deserve a break!). Most straightforward way is to send directly to Scott, since he is a machine and can do this directly, as long as the items are reasonably presentable. He can speak to whether he wants to entertain getting pics or not.

As to donations, there are a number in the queue...I sent along 8 from Chris McMurray a week back...Scott is just waiting to clear the Memorial Day lull before listing more...we will get this motor running with help from the membership!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Hi, Yes! Im gonna try and help the club by moving some donated items through the clubs eBay account. Hopefully some of the success Ive had in my personal accounts will bleed over to this account, but it will take a little time and some bumps in the road to get to that level. I say "items" because even though we are and "old reel" club, I dont think we should be limited to auctioning off old reels to bring in extra revenue. Almost everything has "value". And if we are donating to add revenue to the club, I suggest donating whatever you can part with...hopefully easily ship-able! But im sure we can work something out if you want to put up that old Buick sitting, taking up space in your drive-way on to the auction block. Primarily, whatever smalls you have laying around the house...reels, lures, paper, boxes, cases, figurines, waffle irons, CD's, etc...would be awesome!! And remember, donating to our non-profit is tax dectublie!

To simplify and streamline things, i think it would be more cost effective if reels/smalls be shipped directly to me:

Scott Truex
C/O ORCA
189 Highland Ave
Middletown, NY 10940

If you youre looking to donate something larger (car, furniture, boat, etc) contact me first. Im not sure how the membership feels about moving items other than reels, but if it is an issue...then we can stick to reels. Im open. I just want to help out the club the best way I can. Im not a reel historian, expert, author, patent guru or a combination of any of the above. But what I can do is sell stuff. Atleast to the best of my abilities. All I ask is please dont donate items with a particular "price" or "ending value" in mind. A gift is a gift. A donation of any value is extremely gracious and very helpful to the entire membership!

Thanks!!
Scott Truex
scottorock
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

OOPS!
Please, whatever you send to me, either message me ahead of time or add a note in the package with your name, ORCA username, address, etc.. so that credit is given where it is due.

Thanks!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Hi! The ORCA Ebay account has been churning out some reels the past few weeks and I would say with some decent success! We have also been moving some books, back issues of the Reel News, and memberships. The donated reels from John Elder, Chris McMurray, and the unclaimed reels from the Conventions silent auction are almost gone. Mark Williams is sending over some donations soon.

So, if you have any reels and such taking up some valuable real estate in your home, now would be a great time to donate them to the club!

Send them to:

Scott Truex
C/O ORCA
189 Highland Ave
Middletown, NY 10940

Oh, also, if you get a chance, follow oldreelcollector on eBay! We are up to 36 followers so far. Click on "follow this seller" on any one of our listings. The more followers a seller has, the more interest it creates, and the more likely others will "follow" as well.
Thanks!
Scott