Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:38 pm 
Super Board Poster
Hi! In the HUGE lot of reels member Chris McMurray donated was this gem. A #3 60 yard Style B Shakespeare LW Reel with the dual carriage screws. She is kinda locked up and tired at the moment and I was wondering if another member has/could donate/willing to part with/looking to sell the correct end caps to complete this reel? She is early with the 1590 stamped in foot. I would like to sell her complete, clean, and working... if possible...to benefit the club. Any support or info greatly appreciated!
Scott

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:54 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Frequent Board Poster
It was a heavy one for sure Scott...hehe. I didnt have any or i would have sent them with. Hope you can find them. It did reel when i got it so im sure it will free up with a little coaxing.

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:05 pm 
Super Board Poster
Thanks for all the donations, Chris! Ill figure something out before she gets put up. BTW, did you make that BIG reel in the lot of donations? Thing is HUGE!

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:12 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Well, it looks like now I am the one that needs these end caps. The catalog says they are solid phosphor bronze bushings. (Style A caps with jewels would also work I guess). I will check my spare end caps when I have a chance to inspect the reel but assume they will be different than the ones needed.

[Thank you Chris and Scott!]

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 pm 
Star Board Poster
I have a ton of caps but either need the reel or a lot of measurements and visual aids. Paul, if you aren't already reno-ing it, i'd be happy to donate time and parts to make it happen (edited...Siri can't hear worth a darn sometimes--- thanks for the prompt, Henry!)

John

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:27 am 
Ultra Board Poster
Thanks, John. I will look it over and let you know. It will be in transit for a week +\-

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I'm leaving for vacation in the morning for a week but if you guys can wait for a week, I may be able to come up with at least one. I can't say for sure because I haven't had time to look.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:50 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Thanks, Joe. No rush. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:42 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Interesting that Capt John put a Style B "parts reel" on ebay starting tonight and end caps look like they ould be perfect.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shakespeare-Type-B-old-fishing-reel-PARTS-ONLY/382362759408?hash=item590698b0f0:g:0OYAAOSwO~VabSpQ

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 am 
Advanced Board Poster
I'm not trying to hijack this post but I have question I've been meaning to ask about these reels:
Ive picked up 3 of these over the years - later versions - with 2 being 1914 models and one a 1912 (as stamped on the foot). All 3 have the number 1762 on the back plate. I assumed at first this was the serial number until I got the other 2. Is this the model number? All are No.3 - 60 YDS Style B. Thanks! Jeff

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 am 
Reel Talk Member
Ultra Board Poster
It's the model number. The earliest that I've seen Shakespeare refer to it as the No.1762 is in their 1907 catalog, but I don't have the 1905 or 1906 editions to know if it was listed as such earlier. I'm not sure when the reels were first stamped with that model number.
Mark

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:19 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
I cleaned up the subject reel today and got it working.... barely. Still need the correct end caps. My substitute caps fit the threads OK but they don't hold the bearings properly and the handle barely clears the top of the temporary end cap so I do need to find the right ones. Here are a few pics from my clean-up journey and a short video I made to post on the ORCA Facebook page next week.

Note that there are two styles of screws on the side plates. One on each side has a long shoulder.

There is a tiny wire pawl pin in the level wind line guide assembly. I measured the pin wire just in case it got lost or needs to be replaced: The wire measures 0.044" dia and 0.1935 long (and I guess it was originally .200" long before being worn down from both sides. Although,that part seems to go back and forth just fine.

All the cleaned parts ready for re-assembly. Note the 2 secret marks on the gears of the level-wind screws. These marked gear teeth need to mate a certain way and Bill Sonnett tipped me off before I even got it open. Thank you Bill, you probably saved me hours of frustration.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 pm 
Advanced Board Poster
Wow! Paul you certainly did a great job on the outside of that reel--hard to believe it is the same one.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 pm 
Star Board Poster
+1! Nice, Paul!

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
I have a B reel that is complete except for the line guide which I will probably never find. It has the metal end caps which I would make available to you.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 am 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Did you ever get the proper end caps in hand? I believe I too have found some that would work for you.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am 
Ultra Board Poster
Joe, I will send you a PM.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:26 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
joe klaus wrote:... I believe I too have found some that would work for you.

Joe, the bearing caps you sent me just arrived and they fit perfectly. The Shakespeare Style B reel and I cannot thank you enough. BTW, getting those parts to me for just $1.15 postage is the way to do it. Thank you very much!

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:44 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Paul..really glad they arrived safely. I was starting to get just a tiny bit worried that my effort to mail "cheap" was going to back-fire. The reel looks great.