STYLE B Shakespeare End Caps Needed for Donated Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

STYLE B Shakespeare End Caps Needed for Donated Reel

Post by scottorock »

Hi! In the HUGE lot of reels member Chris McMurray donated was this gem. A #3 60 yard Style B Shakespeare LW Reel with the dual carriage screws. She is kinda locked up and tired at the moment and I was wondering if another member has/could donate/willing to part with/looking to sell the correct end caps to complete this reel? She is early with the 1590 stamped in foot. I would like to sell her complete, clean, and working... if possible...to benefit the club. Any support or info greatly appreciated!
Scott
mannishevitz
Frequent Board Poster

Re: STYLE B Shakespeare End Caps Needed for Donated Reel

Post by mannishevitz »

It was a heavy one for sure Scott...hehe. I didnt have any or i would have sent them with. Hope you can find them. It did reel when i got it so im sure it will free up with a little coaxing.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Thanks for all the donations, Chris! Ill figure something out before she gets put up. BTW, did you make that BIG reel in the lot of donations? Thing is HUGE!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Well, it looks like now I am the one that needs these end caps. The catalog says they are solid phosphor bronze bushings. (Style A caps with jewels would also work I guess). I will check my spare end caps when I have a chance to inspect the reel but assume they will be different than the ones needed.

[Thank you Chris and Scott!]
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I have a ton of caps but either need the reel or a lot of measurements and visual aids. Paul, if you aren't already reno-ing it, i'd be happy to donate time and parts to make it happen (edited...Siri can't hear worth a darn sometimes--- thanks for the prompt, Henry!)

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, John. I will look it over and let you know. It will be in transit for a week +\-
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

I'm leaving for vacation in the morning for a week but if you guys can wait for a week, I may be able to come up with at least one. I can't say for sure because I haven't had time to look.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks, Joe. No rush. Please let me know when you get a chance.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Interesting that Capt John put a Style B "parts reel" on ebay starting tonight and end caps look like they ould be perfect.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shakespeare-Ty ... SwO~VabSpQ
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I'm not trying to hijack this post but I have question I've been meaning to ask about these reels:
Ive picked up 3 of these over the years - later versions - with 2 being 1914 models and one a 1912 (as stamped on the foot). All 3 have the number 1762 on the back plate. I assumed at first this was the serial number until I got the other 2. Is this the model number? All are No.3 - 60 YDS Style B. Thanks! Jeff
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It's the model number. The earliest that I've seen Shakespeare refer to it as the No.1762 is in their 1907 catalog, but I don't have the 1905 or 1906 editions to know if it was listed as such earlier. I'm not sure when the reels were first stamped with that model number.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I cleaned up the subject reel today and got it working.... barely. Still need the correct end caps. My substitute caps fit the threads OK but they don't hold the bearings properly and the handle barely clears the top of the temporary end cap so I do need to find the right ones. Here are a few pics from my clean-up journey and a short video I made to post on the ORCA Facebook page next week.

Note that there are two styles of screws on the side plates. One on each side has a long shoulder.

There is a tiny wire pawl pin in the level wind line guide assembly. I measured the pin wire just in case it got lost or needs to be replaced: The wire measures 0.044" dia and 0.1935 long (and I guess it was originally .200" long before being worn down from both sides. Although,that part seems to go back and forth just fine.

All the cleaned parts ready for re-assembly. Note the 2 secret marks on the gears of the level-wind screws. These marked gear teeth need to mate a certain way and Bill Sonnett tipped me off before I even got it open. Thank you Bill, you probably saved me hours of frustration.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Wow! Paul you certainly did a great job on the outside of that reel--hard to believe it is the same one.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

+1! Nice, Paul!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Reelman2
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reelman2 »

I have a B reel that is complete except for the line guide which I will probably never find. It has the metal end caps which I would make available to you.
Collect mostly Ky style reels; Meek, Heddon, Horton, Pflueger Redifor and Worth, etc.

ORCA Member
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Did you ever get the proper end caps in hand? I believe I too have found some that would work for you.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Joe, I will send you a PM.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

joe klaus wrote:... I believe I too have found some that would work for you.
Joe, the bearing caps you sent me just arrived and they fit perfectly. The Shakespeare Style B reel and I cannot thank you enough. BTW, getting those parts to me for just $1.15 postage is the way to do it. Thank you very much!

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
joe klaus
Super Board Poster

Post by joe klaus »

Paul..really glad they arrived safely. I was starting to get just a tiny bit worried that my effort to mail "cheap" was going to back-fire. The reel looks great.