South Bend Model 20

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
rmatlock
Frequent Board Poster

South Bend Model 20

Post by rmatlock »

I posted this question as a guest and then decided I needed to join this site. It is great.

The question I posted was about a reel I recently acquired. It is South bend No. 20. In all my research about the reel they all have letters after the model No.(a,b e, Etc.) . Mine does not I suspect it might be the first run of this reel before updated. Not sure how rare it is or if I am correct any insight out there?
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Re: South Bend Model 20

Post by Reel Addictive »

Hello rmatlock and welcome to the forum. This is really a question for Jim Madden (our South Bend expert). Which logo does it have on it (Famous in fishing, Best-o-Luck)? There were a couple according to Jim's book. A picture would really help someone provide more information.

William
rmatlock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by rmatlock »

Thanks for the reply the logo is famous in fishing
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The "A Name Famous In Fishing" slogan was used by South Bend only after WWII, so it wouldn't be a first run model. Again, photos always help. The reel is quite common.
Mark
rmatlock
Frequent Board Poster

Post by rmatlock »

Thanks I will try to get a photo up.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I pulled up this thread because i met a reel as discussed and price was too good to leave for the quality of the reel. Appears to be NS and very well made... presume by Shakespeare? Common or no? Better than stick in eye?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Not NS but NPB (see rub bottom of head cap for proof), Absolutely Shakespeare, Very Common, Depends on size of stick.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

scottorock wrote:Not NS but NPB (see rub bottom of head cap for proof), Absolutely Shakespeare, Very Common, Depends on size of stick.
Minor rubs on the corners of the foot bottom, too.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

They all rub out rather easily,Scott, leaving a mild yellowing more like what NS does when spots are removed. Jim's book probably says what they are. spool, however, looks to be plated

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The No.20 was introduced in South Bend's 1939 catalog, where it states it is "nickel plated". All subsequent catalogs up until WWII say the same thing. After the war, they are listed as "chrome plated".
Mark
Last edited by wrong99 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Model 20 B from my "low end collection" for those who cannot afford "The Very Best". Marion The Librarian"
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I stand corrected!thanks, guys... when i think plating , i always picture chrome, like you see on later reels. Nice old piece, nonetheless
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member