re PayPal

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

re PayPal

Post by john elder »

Okay, folks, bring me into the 21st century or at least let's hear opinions on whether I should keep using antique checks and MOs. i have steadfastly avoided accepting PayPal any time I sold anything on ebay or elsewhere because I resented another hand in my pocket. I have steadfastly refused using the same service as a buyer for the same reason..or so I've thought...does it cost to use PayPal as a buyer? I freely accept BidPay as a way to settle auctions because they don't charge the seller anything... a Western Union money order just shows up and we're done. However, i know they charge the buyer for the latter service, basically for the right to use their credits card. So, how hard is the buyer hit by PayPal? I'm sure I lose $ in sales, since some just don't want to be bothered with the inconvenience of rounding up and mailing the payment. I've just accepted that, since I sell so little and don't depend on it to feed the kids.

I also read a dialogue whereby Paypal was now essentially an arm of the government in that the information re transactions was freely made available to any agency making the request. Is this something to be concerned about or am I just being my normal paranoid self?

I've also had a couple friends report horror stories re PayPal glitches with certain buyers/sellers...were these just growing pains or is there alot of concern amongst us tackle mongers? Thanks for the input!
SWIM JIG
Super Board Poster

Post by SWIM JIG »

:lol: :!: :?: :idea: John, We too used that pay pal stuf and it was tooooo much bookeeping for us bother selling and buying, then our bank charged us for deposits it was in the company account, Sooooo we just use Old fashioned checks, I dont care if they hold them fo 10 to 20 days, We have a firm rule, if the seller dont take checks, we dont buy! Idea for that is if the goods are not as stated you have no comeback! as for selling? we welcome checks, never had a bad one yet in 8 + years, yahoo and ebay and other auction sites we use. I always have the attitude when someone wont take a check, it means to me anyway, they have pased bad checks themselfs or they are selling bad merchandise! and some of those photos are proff of that, I most likly have missed a few things with our (rule) however We hqve not lost any money either) Yup I too had a pay pal exp. and never again, With good sellers and good buyers checks are no problem we always state must clear the bank about 10 days, no one minds that, and yes our gov. does watch sales they want more taxes to send to some distant shore! As for money orders? heck why cost the seller more money a check is fine, Other grip I have is overcharged postage! We prefer Priority mail with del conformation and Us Postal sevices sends us the boxes, tape and lables to the door NO Charge! nuf said we ship a few thousand reels a year that we repair havent lost one yet, and cost is minimal. I like being old fasihoned! Ha Ha Col. M. lorens aka SWIM JIG
Stephen Barnes
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Stephen Barnes »

John I buy quite a bit on ebay and I prefer a seller who uses paypal.It is done and over very quickly,and I don't have to remember if I received a seller's address,did I remember to send it,get a money order if they accept a check,etc.I sometimes can have over 100 items I might be buying in a month and it can be very hard to try to keep up with.At first I did not trust paypal,but as I began using it I definitly prefer it.Hope this helps.
ak-fish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by ak-fish »

I have been using PayPal for a few years and like it very much. It is quick and hassle-free. The service fee -- only a little more than on a Visa sale -- is my only gripe. The fact is a huge fraction of eBay sales use PayPal and many of my buyers seem to want their reels now, or as possible. I think it increases demand for the reels I sell.
Capt.John/WI
Big ORCA Fan

no Pay Pal

Post by Capt.John/WI »

:wink:

I used pay Pal when it was free for the seller. But no more. There are many disadvantages for Pay Pal (or credit cards):

a high seller's fee

chargebacks - you think you got paid but find out later Pay Pal has taken the money back because customer unhappy. An approval number from a credit card company does NOT guarantee that you will get paid. With all the identity theft going on, this is going to become a bigger issue. You think you have been paid, ship the item, and then get a chargeback because credit card turns out to be stolen. More likely these crooks will buy stuff other than old fishing tackle - but who knows.

another layer of bookkeeping - I have enuf to do without tracking this

no FDIC insurance. If they mess up your account or go bankrupt, you have no whars to turn

Of course you will not get bids from a few few people that insist on using Pay Pal. I get a nasty email about every six months from some lubber who thinks I should have to follow his wishes?! All my auctions clearly state I do NOT take Pay Pal so why they just don't take their business elsewhars is beyond me. Folks that mail me payment promptly, usually have their items a week after the auction ends. I have sold about 20,000 lots on eBay and doubt if my bottom line would have been any more had I taken Pay Pal. Especially when I consider the 3% I didn't have to pay them.

For awhile I used to take Pay Pal and charge the buyers an extra fee to cover my added expense. eBay made me stop doing this. Apparently sur-charges are not allowed by credit card companies.
Harvey
Super Board Poster

Pay-Pal

Post by Harvey »

I started using it when it was first started. I purchased an item from a collector that I knew and charged it to my Pay-Pal account. Pay-pal charged my credit card twice to the tune of $124.00 but only paid the seller once. It took me three months with the help of the seller to get my money back. :bash: NEVER AGAIN! They may be OK now but My credit cards now stay in my billfold where they belong.
Harvey
piscesman
Advanced Board Poster

Post by piscesman »

I use paypal when absolutely necessary to purchase items. I have never opened up a seller account to receive payments. Once they started to charge the seller many people dropped them, wouldn't you. About the only time I'll use paypal is when I buy something from overseas. They get their money now and I'll receive my item in about a month. Never had a problem that way. The only incident I have ever had happened about 10 months ago. I bought something from Germany. They wanted to accept a paypal payment in the form of a "draft" so it would be free for them. That would mean me opening up a paying account through my checking account. No way in ---- would I open up a checking type account with ebay having access to my money. Long story short. He had a brother in Cal. whom I sent the payment to. His brother then sent the payment to him and I received my item after that. Total time from end of auction to receiving item approx 3 months. Item was worth the wait but not the hassle. :bash:
Penobscot Bill
Frequent Board Poster

PayPal

Post by Penobscot Bill »

I've been using PayPal for years via Ebay and although I'm not thrilled with the fee they charge per transaction, I have not had a single unpleasant incident-not one. It works for me. Caveat Emptor.
ak-fish
Advanced Board Poster

PayPal, a final thought

Post by ak-fish »

One more thought: I'm a little surprised to hear the depth of the anti-PayPal emotion. The charges seem high to me, and I'm sure there must be occasional problems with it. But it is also the future. Cash, even checks, will soon be a thing of the past whether we like it or not.
michael anderson
Frequent Board Poster

paypal

Post by michael anderson »

I'm not wild about the fees either, but I use paypal as both a buyer and seller, and have had no problems with it. As Stephen indicated, it simplifies the transaction, gives me a mailing address to send the item to, and usually I get paid for my items within 3 days (probably 80% of my transactions are paid within 24 hours). And I can't tell you how many times I've received an envelope in the mail with a check, and no reference to what it's for, and sometimes, who it's from (money orders). Then, I have to do some detective work to figure out what it's for.

In short, it has simplified my life as an e-seller.
reelsofold

Works for me!

Post by reelsofold »

I have severasl hundred sales and purchases on ebay. In the beginning I would not use paypal because of the horror stories of ID theft. I started using it when I decided waiting for money orders and cashiers checks that took up to 2 or 3 weeks to arrive was not cutting it for me. I set up a Bank card with a Visa attatchment this way the only thing at risk was the amount of money in the account, which is not alot at any given time. Now I get paid right away. clears in 3 days. The fees are a pain in the butt, but it is the price you pay to turn over three times the merchandise in the same time as before. I just wish the sellers that use it, would ship as quick as they get paid!
that-zebco-guy

PayPal

Post by that-zebco-guy »

Been using it over 2 yrs both buying and selling, only 1 problem and PayPal cleared it up themselfs in a week. Love it both ways! On Big ticket items that I sell I tell buyer in listing that neither PayPal or BidPay will be accepted. Only a Bank Wire Transfer, or a Postal Money Order, or International Postal Money Order accepted as a form of payment. Never have had a problem with the buyer's and have a 100% Positive Feedback file rating.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Zebco Guy

Post by Brian F. »

Zebco Guy - Paul W. is that you?
Jim Madden
Super Board Poster

Pay Pal

Post by Jim Madden »

I think Milt said it best. I've stayed with the old fashioned method for the reasons he gave, and for the fact that there's at least some semblance of a personal element to respecting a man's check and in exchanging emails about the reel. I hate those impersonal invoices, and check-outs and other template stuff that further separates the two parties who ideally should be consummating the exchange with a handshake. I know the old way is more work, but have we completely now separated the reel from the PERSON who buys it or sells it? The word "pal" is a real misnomer. Frankly, I don't give a rat's you-know-what if someone won't bid on my reel cuz I don't accept Pay XXX.
reelsofold

Pay Pal

Post by reelsofold »

I sell alot of reels and gear to feed my collection habit. In most cases I pretty much know what the reel is going to sell for on average. The key is buying it right. This way you can add the approximate paypal cost to the starting bid. Buying right allows a still low starting bid and my costs are covered. I have too many people emailing me and thanking me for a quick smooth transaction. They like the almost instant gradification of receiving the reel within a couple of days of the sale ending! Although there have been times my estimate of the cost is off and I feel the sting. Overall it has made life easier for me! :D