Has Anyone Ever Seen A Pflueger Prokast Reel???

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Has Anyone Ever Seen A Pflueger Prokast Reel???

Post by Teal »

I'm finishing up Bad Bob Miller's latest Pflueger book and it occurs to me I've never seen a real live Pflueger Prokast reel. It was catalogued for one year (1941) and stated that it was designed for tournament casting, especially skish. As a narrow spool model, I was wondering if anyone's seen one? If so let us know.

-- Dr. Todd
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Has Anyone Ever Seen A Pflueger Prokast Reel???

Post by RAM »

Todd-I strongly suspect it was never sold. Another reel also made a catalog but has never been seen-the Major SW. Maybe they will magically appear one day. Ho! Ho! Ho!.

Bad Bob
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Very interesting. That's a narrow spool tournament reel I have never seen. Since it is in the 1941 catalog, which was printed BEFORE WWII, it may have had a very short life. Once the War started everything shifted to military production and then they just never got back to it after the War. If Bad Bob does not have one it has to be very hard to find. Hope one shows up. Fun stuff. Colby
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Never seen one
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It seems they would have had at least a full year to produce one. The 1941 catalog was usually printed near the end of 1940, so the war wouldn't have had any effect on the first production run. Granted, it likely would have been a limited production anyway, given the fact it was somewhat of a "specialty" model. If the reel was aluminum (I've never seen the listing), which was already getting scarce by 1940, perhaps that lead to a decision to not put it in production?
Mark
Reeltyme

Post by Reeltyme »

Could this mean there might be a Pflueger web site on the horizon?? :jump: :jump: Merry Christmas Y'all!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

The picture appears to be a narrow spool version of the Nobby. Even if I had seen one up to this point I would have assumed that it was a custom produced reel made by or for a tournament caster. The same as the green narrow spool Marhoffs that show up in tournament casters stuff which were put togeather using parts from two different Shakespeare reels.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Just ran across the original listing for the Prokast while looking for something else.
Mark
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Folks,

Contrary to the catalog cut "Prokast" is not a US Trademark registered by Enterprise.

Alan
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Wow. I did not know that Prokast was not a registered TM. Very weird, as Pflueger seemed to TM everything. Can't imagine why they didn't follow through. Is this the only Pflueger name they said was TM but wasn't you've come across?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I note it says " levelwind can be quickly and essily detached for cleaning". I guess i've never met a levelwind with those qualities! But maybe i was doing it wrong!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

DT,

You are right, Enterprise seemed to put alot of stock in trademarks, Colby & my database identifies 207 fishing tackle TMs for Enterprise between 1908 and 1960, and there a few after that.

This thread seems to focus on 1941, at which time Enterprise trademarked Skilkast, but not Prokast. I re-trolled USPTO pubs but it is not there. Maybe a further indication they did not get the Prokast to market??

Alan

Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

On an earlier thread, Jim Madden posted this picture of a Narrow Spool Nobby that seems to me to be a dead ringer for the illustration of the Prokast. In addition, I noticed that the center shaft of the spool in the reel pictured here, is somewhat thicker than that found on similar Pflueger reels from the same time period such as Nobby, Akron and Summit. This thick center shaft is only found in my experience on one other pflueger reel (also introduced in 1941) i.e. - the first version of the Skilcast. The Skilkast as produced in 1941 is different than those made after the War in that it has this same thick spool shaft which is hardly ever seen as Pflueger listed the reel that year as having a factory-installed cork arbor. Removal of that arbor is not easy but will show two things, that the spool shaft is very thick and that there are no Pfleuger replacement arbors that will fit it. (discovered by sad experience on my part) I mention this only in that the listing for the Prokast states that it is available with two different diameter----factory installed----arbors.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Here are a few photos of the first Skilkast Bill is referring to with the wider spool axle. Also note that in 1941 most LW Pflueger reels (except the Supreme) came with the "6th" screw in the head cap as seen in my photo and in the illustration Dr Todd provided at the beginning of the thread. The photo of the narrow spool Nobby that Bill posted does not have the 6th screw in the head cap. Otherwise the narrow Nobby looks extremely similar to the ProKast illustration and the catalog grab Mark posted. The crank looks longer on the narrow Nobby as well but that could be attributed to the angle of the pic or maybe it was replaced.

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

For anyone not familiar with the Sixth screw Pfluegers this short article may be of interest.

http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/2012 ... screw.html
Last edited by Bill Sonnett on Mon May 01, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Great article. Thanks for posting the link, Bill.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Bill

Really great information---I am impressed!-----now I have something else to worry about!
Looking for that little screw.

Fun Hobby

Willis Logan
Willis Logan