Ocean City question ?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Ocean City question ?

Post by 54bullseye »

I have a nice collection of the 600 series of Ocean City reels going my question is about the boxes they came in. As you can see in my pictures I have the 612, 610, 609, all in the maroon color boxes with the leather type texture plus a 609 wooden box. I also have a 804 and 806 box for cradles with same color and three Inductor boxes of the same type. Then I have a 605, 604, and 603 in the Blue boxes. My question is did they make the 604 or the 606 box in that same color or just the boxes I have pictures of in the Blue colors ?? Next question is has anyone ever seen a box for a 14/0-614 or a 16/0-616 ?? Same question goes for big 800 series cradles ? The biggest box I have seen was the 806 but I have seen bags for the 814s and the 810 cradles.

If any one out there has any info on these boxes please let me know pictures would be great !! I am in search of a 606 NIB if any one might have one for sale or possibly know someone who has one please let me know. I hope some one can give me some info on these boxes !! Thanks John Taylor

Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Ocean City question ?

Post by Jeff Johnson »

John, I've been looking at these a long time myself. I've never seen the 604 or 606 in the brown leatherette boxes, only the blue cardboard boxes. The 609 only in the brown leatherette box and the wood box. The 609 is the only reel I've ever seen in the wood box and have never heard mention of it in any catalog or advertisement - you'd think they would have touted that. I do have a 609A True Temper/Ocean city that came in the white and blue regular cardboard box but that's not really Ocean City anymore.
I have a 610 in the brown leatherette box and have seen the 612 in it - so I would have to say the 609 to 616 came in that box - most likely.
I don't have any 800 series boxes but like you have seen the 804 to 809 in the brown leatherette boxes - regular cardboard probably would have blown out quickly with those handles poking through.
I do have a 816 with the bag - but the bag is marked 814. The guy I got it from had 2 OC cradle set ups and it possibly got mixed up or it just could have come that way originally I don't know. I see your bags model number is crossed out and re-written with another number, probably from the factory because why would the original owner care to fix that?
Anyways great collection of reels - Good luck - Jeff
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Jeff
Thanks for getting back to me about the boxes it looks like we both have about the same information and would like to find out more ! Hopefully some one else jumps in with more. I am glad to see that you have an 816 along with the bag do you have the rod ? I found this OC site on another forum http://www.oceancityreelphotos.com/big-game-reels.html
If you click on OC salt water reels then big game reels and scroll way down you will see a bunch of cradles including a set of 806s it says they are 809s but I bought them and there 806s. The 816 pictured is a beauty !!! It has the original rod with the box and pictures of Tuna caught with it. Jeff I am going to PM you my phone number give me a call and we can talk about the big cradles I have a few big ones !! Thanks John Taylor
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

John,
That website is owned and maintained by ORCA. Jeff, who you are presently in a discussion with, is the Editor of that site.
Mark
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

wrong99 wrote:John,
That website is owned and maintained by ORCA. Jeff, who you are presently in a discussion with, is the Editor of that site.
Mark
As always (Open mouth insert foot) !!! Didn't know that hope he calls me ! Thanks for the info. It's a neat website. John Taylor
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi I wanted to do a follow up on this post. A couple weeks ago the very box I was asking about in this post came up on eBay along with a nice 614 Ocean City reel. The box is for a 614 OC reel and is the first one bigger than a 612 box that I have seen. After seeing and buying it I am of coarse looking for a 616 box and I guess they are most likely out there. Also boxes for big 800 series cradles. I only have two boxes for cradles an 804 and an 806 and I haven't personally seen bigger but have talked to people that have seen them.

I will ask again if any one has big OC boxes even if not for sale or has seen them please post to let me and others interested know they exist !!

I am going to list the 614 reel on ORCA for sale, trade or wanted section later along with pictures. The reel is like new except it looks like it was possibly dropped as the tail plate has a chip out of rim and a good sized crack most of the way across it.
Keep an eye out if interested. Thanks for looking ! John Taylor

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

John,

As far as any resource for Ocean City big game reels boxes, I believe you just cornered the market on it. Your collection is the best I have ever seen in one place.

I think an important part of classifying these boxes is to determine what year each box represents. Hoping your boxes have catalogs in them? The box style could very well vary for the same size reel if we separate, say a Model 609 by a ten year span. The 600 series began right after the war. Ocean City kept the series in production until True Temper bought Ocean City and then True Temper continued making the reels. So we have about a decade of 600 series Ocean City reels made exclusively by Ocean City. I am thinking that say a Model 612 may have been placed in different style boxes depending on its year of production.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mike
I have a few with catalogs but all catalogs appear the same they cover multiple reels. The 14/0 box unfortunately had no paper work but at least we now know the big boxes exists ! I wonder if they made one for the 816 cradle if so that would have been a giant of a box ! even the 804 box was big. I know they made bags for the big cradles. Hopefully some one will chime in with more info !! John Taylor
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I wonder if they made one for the 816 cradle if so that would have been a giant of a box
Sure it would be a large box; but, I have never thought to ask that question. A Penn 16/0 is exactly the same size as a Ocean City 16/0 and I have seen many Penn 16/0 boxes. Why would you think that Ocean City neglected to make a box for a 16/0 when they made them for all there other big game reels?

I suspect one will pop up soon. Now that the question has been asked, we need to answer it with a Ocean City 16/0 box picture. :)
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food