HELP ID Donated Reel, Please

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
scottorock
Super Board Poster

HELP ID Donated Reel, Please

Post by scottorock »

This is one of the donated reels Roger sent me to list. I have no idea on maker. Weighs 3 pounds 5 ounces. Tail plate seems glued/epoxied in place. Remove the axle to disassemble. Works just fine. Any help appreciated. I have more photos if needed.
Thanks
Scott
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: HELP ID Donated Reel, Please

Post by Midway Tommy D »

No help, but that's a pretty cool specimen!
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Scott, i think that is a home-made reel, cobbled together from several reels. I think the free spool apparatus is Penn and the pin through the middle probably from bronson.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

john elder wrote:Scott, i think that is a home-made reel, cobbled together from several reels. I think the free spool apparatus is Penn and the pin through the middle probably from bronson.
Penn power handle and star. The bridge is custom or modified, and the frame and side plates appear to be 'homebuilt'.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Man...the reel works super smooth. Def Penn crank, drag, bridge, and lever. I get the Bronson/Coxe axle/pin. Plates appear to be cast, not machined. Foot appears machined. Tube body is super smooth. Spool is on point as well. Kinda see welding/solder bruising in corners of arbor..faintly. Crank collar and everything is super tight! Extremely well done if frankenreel/homemade. You could put this reel into service right now, as she sits, and she would get the job done. Just stinks I cant bid on it.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

The tube frame design is reminiscent of Langley Dyna-Matic / Dyna-Flo etc. And the inside of the right side plate looks as though it might be a two-piece subassembly. (those green countersunk screws around the periphery hold the raised half-section to the rest of the right side plate)

Robert Janssen
Sweden
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

The devil in the details. Dr. Rob is correct and the reel does share a similar type frame with the Langley Dyna reels but there are many differences also. We may have a couple of clues to the maker though. The handle nut has a number on it. I can't read it because of the angle of the reel in the photograph. Scott has identified some of these parts as being made by Penn. Maybe Scott can give us that number and a Penn expert can compare the number to Penn's parts list. Also one of the gear plates shows the number 11-114. I'll check the Langley parts list for this number and get back, but I don't think this is a Langley part.( I checked. Not a Langley part number so I guess you Penn guys are up!!) The click spring also looks like a manufactured part instead of a machined part.

These manufactured parts are most likely part of some manufacturers inventory and not the work of an individual machinist. So we may be able to identify who made these parts.

Keepin' It Fun!

Colby
Last edited by colby sorrells on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Thanks Scott. Quick reply and photo. CS
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

The 3 numbered parts I can see are Penn parts. If there are more with numbers you can research their applications here @ Scott's. Simply type the number (with hyphen) into the search window at the top right-hand corner of the page & click search icon.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Midway Tommy D wrote:The 3 numbered parts I can see are Penn parts. If there are more with numbers you can research their applications here @ Scott's. Simply type the number (with hyphen) into the search window at the top right-hand corner of the page & click search icon.
The handle arm, retaining nut, and jack are definately Penn.

X2.. if the bridge was pulled we could confirm or deny if the yoke, gear set, sleeve, dog, bridge, eccentric jack, lever, and other parts are Penn as well.

John
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Everything on the head plate is Penn except the screws. The eccentric spring was reshaped and the pinion does not properly fit the spool shaft. Nothing on the tail plate is Penn. It's a homemade reel.
-steve
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Makes sense to re-use parts if you're going to try to improve the wheel and not re-invent it. But the internals look like stainless steel upgrades, if not modeled after Penn parts. People have been selling those types of upgrades for a long time. Pretty interesting reel. Reminds me of the Penn 525 - 555 series, with the continuous axle and assuming it has some ball bearings in there somewhere. Prototype?
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
nomdeplume57
Advanced Board Poster

Post by nomdeplume57 »

When is that reel going on e-bay ?
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

I can list it Thursday evening. Doesn't look like any more information will be added here, so I guess she's ready to go. Thanks, and happy bidding!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Reel is now heading to California! 68 bids....yes 68 bids, and sold for $87.40. Thanks, Roger, for the donation! Check out a few more Roger sent over that are listed on eBay right now including one that was previously discussed here in a thread from 2013. Thanks!
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York