Does anyone recognize early this reel design?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Does anyone recognize early this reel design?

Post by Paul M »

Does anyone recognize early this reel design? I would describe it as a single action fly reel with level wind. This is a drawing from an 1891 reel patent in the Canadian patent office https://www.ic.gc.ca... patent 36202. I would like to learn if this was ever produced.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Does anyone recognize early this reel design?

Post by Steve »

Maybe no one but the inventor saw a crying need for a mechanical LW on a narrow-spool fly reel. Even such later luminaries as Herbert Frost were not inspired to add much more than doodads like this to fly reels:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Recall seeing a chap using a fly reel with a level wind for tournament accuracy casting. Required precise amount of line to be stripped out for successive targets at differing distances so a binding overlapped line was a potential problem. He was good. Don't know anything about the reel other than that or if the rules required use of a stock reel. Never have seen such since. No shortage of seemingly unneeded do dads but some do have a need. But what do I know?

Bad Bob
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Not really a level-wind, but kind of. By Heaton.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks. I looked at the patent again and maybe I was fooled by the proportions of the reel in the drawing. It looks like the shape of a modern fly reel but maybe the proportions in the drawing are just an exaggeration. Claim 1 discusses the design for a ("reciprocating transverse guide or carrier... and means for imparting motion to such carrier" ) level winding mechanism in a reel, not necessarily a fly reel. The claims could probably be embodied in a wide spool bait caster. Maybe the patent was 'inspired' by the earlier Canadian patent filed by Costigan for his reel with a level-wind function. The co-inventors of the subject patent were machinists so I would think that at least prototypes were made and I would like to find one for my collection.

Paul M
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The Costigan device was a lot more than just a "reciprocating transverse guide or carrier... and means for imparting motion to such carrier", as it included a line unkinking tension device. It would be more likely that any inspiration might have come from the Palmer level wind, which this one resembles. Sure, the claims could have been embodied in a multiplier, but probably only after a Eureka! moment by the inventors. They would have described the gearing necessary for driving the LW. Looks to me as if gear K is attached at the end of the LW shaft, but what turns it?
maybe the proportions in the drawing are just an exaggeration
Hmmm...not giving those guys much credit, methinks. Nevertheless, I'm sure they built a prototype, maybe even a bunch of them, and I hope you find one. Meanwhile, if you run across a Palmer LW during your search, I'd like one of those for my collection.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Dean, I assume that round line guide floats? interesting that there are cuts on the far side into the pot metal, as often seen from stipping sandy line off the reel....but no marks on the ring! Must be a pretty tough piece of metal or a later add-on?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
bcstones
Big ORCA Fan

Post by bcstones »

just saw this while skimming.....I picked up a small brass(?) reel (only makring on it is "German Silver 80yards"), w/a similar device which fell of when I cleaned the gunk up. Either it's missing a backing of some sort or.....? It falls off....