Pflueger Nobby

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Pflueger Nobby

Post by mrbiggfish »

I purchased a Pflueger Nobby for $10 , but I looked at some other Nobby's and noticed this one didn't have a grease port like other ones i have looked at. And also could someone tell me what the white reel knobs made of? This is a awesome site I could read forever on here.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Nobby

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Almost everything I said in this original post is wrong. Look below at Scott's he is on the money.

BillS
Last edited by Bill Sonnett on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Do you know the year this reel was made? Thank you for the help, Bill
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

that Nobby is an early one, before the grease door. The spare pawl and retaining screw are in your reel. Missing grease door/port like you mentioned. Note the slotted screws attaching foot and the large, protruding pawl retaining screw in line guide and head cap... indicating 1936 or before. And thats the wrong crank for the reel. That crank belongs on a Summit..1993L or 1983M.
Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Wow , thx for all the info Scott! Where would I go online to find the right crank for that kind of reel?
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Scour eBay, online anything vintage fishing tackle and search, request the crank you are looking for....here is early ad for the crank you need to make your reel correct. Good luck!

Scott Truex
Hudson Valley, New York
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Thanks again for the help Scott!
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

I'm going to see about getting one of those Nobby ads , that's really cool.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

When I first found this ad I was relieved to know that the Nobby (which is one of my favorite reels to fish with) would be legal for use in the Missouri Old Time Tackle Tournament in which all tackle is required to be pre-1940. The second question that came to mind was, "Why is the reel shown in a dark color?" This was answered by Robert Miller when he wrote his article on the Nobby for Reel News. The Nobby is first cataloged as having an anodized blue finish. As far as I know, we are still looking for the first example of a "blue" Nobby
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

That must be a lot of fun being in a tournament like that. I had to retire with a disability and don't get to fish as much as I would like to. I started reading about antique reels and it just sparked something in me. I love reading the stories on here and I'm learning a lot.
One question, I'm in need of the crank for this Nobby , but I'm trying to decide what color the original knobs are on the crank. Everyone I have look at on eBay looks different. Thanks again!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Yes, one of the problems with the common Pflueger bass sized bait casting reels is that though each model came with knobs that are a different color, all the handles are interchangeable and this leads to many reels with the wrong handle as replacements.
If you look at several pictures on eBay you will see that most Nobbys have the original handles and the plastic knobs are a somewhat translucent, lightly modeled beige or tan color
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Ok thank you now I know what i am looking for now.