Penn Reels Mod F

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Rxp22
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Reels Mod F

Post by Rxp22 »

Hey all!
This is my first post on here. My name is Tim and I collect reels as a hobby, not always about the value to me. Most of my collection is Penn and Mitchell Reels. My Dad has passed on his love of Penn and Mitchell Reels to me. I also have a few Pfleugers and Ocean City Reels as well.

I do have a Penn Mod F in my collection. I didn't know it's rarity until I found this website. I am posting some pics of it to get opinions on its condition.

Thanks.
Tim
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn Reels Mod F

Post by Brian F. »

Welcome to ORCA's Reel Talk, Tim. Your reel is in pretty nice shape. The main issues would be the notch on the end of one foot, the chips on the handle knob, a few "buggered" screws and maybe slight "drying out" of the headplate. But those are pretty minor compared to the scarcity and popularity of that reel. Overall it's still something very nice.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Plus one on that, Tim! The F and K are the gold nuggets of old Penn and that reel makes a nice cornerstone for developing a nice early Penn collection! There are many reels out there with early waffle clickers that came along on the heels of the F and K that are equally neat and selling for 10% of what the latter reels are going for. You can thank your dad for a great start!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Rxp22
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Rxp22 »

Brian F. wrote:Welcome to ORCA's Reel Talk, Tim. Your reel is in pretty nice shape. The main issues would be the notch on the end of one foot, the chips on the handle knob, a few "buggered" screws and maybe slight "drying out" of the headplate. But those are pretty minor compared to the scarcity and popularity of that reel. Overall it's still something very nice.
Thanks Brian.
That notch on the foot, at first I thought it was from the factory like that, but now I am looking at it again, it looks like it was a modification made to it.
Here are more pics of the notch.
Rxp22
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Rxp22 »

john elder wrote:Plus one on that, Tim! The F and K are the gold nuggets of old Penn and that reel makes a nice cornerstone for developing a nice early Penn collection! There are many reels out there with early waffle clickers that came along on the heels of the F and K that are equally neat and selling for 10% of what the latter reels are going for. You can thank your dad for a great start!
Thank you Sir. My Dad put the love of fishing and the appreciation of a good reel in me. This gem was inherited from my Grandfather.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Tim,

Hang onto that one. You have a reel all the Penn guys would like in their collections.

Ray
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I really like the smooth honey coloured patina that has developed on the spool. It looks like it hasn't had line on it in a long, long time. Thanks for posting. I am looking forward to seeing more from your collection.

Paul M
Rxp22
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Rxp22 »

Thanks!

I'm still trying to figure out what else I have that's worth posting.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I see you are trying to find a value. Hard to say exactly, but, I have seen these sell anywhere from $400 to $1500. The cut stand on yours is not much of a problem because any nickel plated stand from a early Penn Sea Hawk of the right width would be ok on a Model F. It is the side plates that make the reel. Great find Tim.
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Geez Mike I’d pay alot more than $400 for just about any condition model F
-Chris R.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

i suppose you folks have noticed this thread is almost a year old! Mike, you need to come see us more often!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

i suppose you folks have noticed this thread is almost a year old! Mike, you need to come see us more often!
Actually the thread is almost two years old. I brought it up to the top because I saw the owner post the reel on Facebook. He mentioned that he had posted the reel on ORCA a few years ago, so I looked for it. I knew it was old.

I know I have not been around as much as I was in the past. I have spread myself out a bit too thin, plus the sickness with Ray and then his passing has brought some changes into my life. But I am back and will try to be here more often.

ORCA is the roots of my beginnings in the hobby, I never forget, I only wander at times. I am here..................
Last edited by m3040c on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Geez Mike I’d pay alot more than $400 for just about any condition model F
I guess I am a bit behind the times in terms of values. When I say $400, I mean that at the low end of the spectrum of Model F prices. I guess if you are a Penn collector in today's market, $400 is low. That is what I paid for mine around 14 years ago. I know they can easily hit the 1 large mark today.

Keep an eye out for one. In the garage sale world, they can still be had cheap, especially if they are a bucket reel.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

True enough, Mike and thanks for putting the pull up in perspective! It has, indeed, been a tough year...let’s hope 2019 brings better times! You are always right there when we need you!

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

True enough, Mike and thanks for putting the pull up in perspective! It has, indeed, been a tough year...let’s hope 2019 brings better times! You are always right there when we need you!
Thank You.