2nd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

2nd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

Post by Deepfins791 »

As promised in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19008, my wife and I will be hosting the 2nd annual Wheels and Reels BBQ at our place in Pismo Beach, California on June 17th. The BBQ coincides with the Pismo Beach Car Show, one of the largest car shows in the nation.

I hear many collectors bemoaning the fact that the internet has de-personalized tackle collecting. It has become too easy for us to sit behind our computers and shop for tackle, minimizing the opportunity to meet and socialize with other collectors on a more personal level. And there are fewer collectors as crazy as I am willing to crisscross the country and meet with other collectors to buy/sell/trade tackle. Our BBQ is an attempt to get tackle collectors and their spouses together in a very informal setting to eat well (as apposed to healthy), drink well (as apposed to in moderation), and enjoy each other’s company.

I also invite many of my fishing and spearfishing partners. Last year, it ended up being a very lively group, and everyone agreed we should do it again. Tackle collectors are encouraged to bring something to sell/trade/show off. I always have a few top notch big game tackle items on my chopping block.

For those of you not familiar with Pismo Beach, it is the gem of the Central Coast of California. I would encourage anyone thinking of visiting this area to check out the PB Chamber of Commerce website: https://www.pismochamber.com/. One activity the website fails to mention is the explosion of craft beer breweries in this area. If there is any interest, we might rent a van and go on a beer tasting tour.

To RSVP, simply send me a PM.

Cheers,
John
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Re: 2nd Annual Wheels and Reels BBQ

Post by reeltackle »

My wife and I tried to come out to your house for this event last year, here is some video from our failed attempt at that visit ..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSzTDK5TAfY

Perhaps I will have better luck this year, seems I'm always making a wrong turn at Albuquerque .

Kudos to you John for your generosity!

Ed
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

whiskeyfisher
Big ORCA Fan

Post by whiskeyfisher »

I live in Nipomo, 15 min away and have belonged to ORCA 20 + years! Contact me... rswhiskey@yahoo.com
Regards, Steve Watson
Deepfins791
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Deepfins791 »

As a reminder, the BBQ is this coming Saturday. It's shaping up to be another great time, with RSVP's coming from hundreds of noteworthy CA collectors. I spent all day today dusting my tackle room in anticipation. And the main event will be a raffle for a line drier custom made by John Elder, and packed with linen line (see attached). Tickets are $10 each, there is no limit to how many tickets you can buy, and you do not need to be present to win!

If you are going to be in the area and want to attend, PM me.

Cheers,
John
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Oh, gee, thanks, John! That was NOT one of my better rescues! In any event, sorry I can't make it this year. For those within striking range, its a great chance to see John's famous tackle room and drink all his beer! I highly recommend both!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

John I wish I was about 2500 miles closer and I would do it but 3000 a bit much for a one day event !!! Wish I could make it. Have fun !!! John T.