Any info on this (Heaton?) fly reel?

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Any info on this (Heaton?) fly reel?

Post by spadej1 »

Hi all, I'm looking for some information on this Aluminum/Brass fly reel. The only true marking is "Made in England", although there is an "IIIX" scratched inside the winding plate and frame. I'm pretty sure this is a Heaton reel from some searching, but I'm trying to figure out an approximate date. It is close to a Heaton Dove, which narrows it down a bit but I'm not sure. There is a constant click, it seems to have a bone handle knob, and the pillars are not attached with screws. The frame is aluminum or alloy and the spool and pillars are brass. It's pressed/riveted together, and the spool is permanently attached. I've seen some say that the bone/antler handle knobs were early, but without screws I would assume later. I'm not all that experienced at these things yet, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Any info on this (Heaton?) fly reel?

Post by Paul M »

I don't have an ID for this reel but if you wanted to open up the reel for cleaning behind the spool, I think you would find that the cross-pillars probably unscrew. The trick is to rotate each one a a little bit at a time, like 1 turn, then go to the next pillar, etc until they all unscrew completely. First apply lubrication e.g. WD-40. Even if one end is peened, it should rotate in place while the end on the side of the backplate unscrews. A small piece of leather will help avoid scratching the rich patina on the cross-pillars.

Paul M
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

MADE IN ENGLAND is usually stamped on reels retailed by Milward's the Redditch based needle maker.

They did over the years buy many smaller tackle companies and sourced reels etc from others.

Stef
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks for the information guys. I'll try turning the pillars and see what that does when I get some time. I've seen the Milward connection in other sources, though extra verification is always good.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!