Help Needed To Identify Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Chappie
Big ORCA Fan

Help Needed To Identify Reel

Post by Chappie »

Hi,
Can anyone help me identify the reel in the attached pictures.
If possible an approximate year and country of origin.
Down her in New ZSealand it is considered unusual.
Kind Regards
Grant
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Help Needed To Identify Reel

Post by john elder »

Your reel is very similar to this Rochester 9-multiplier. First thing to do is to clean it and check for writing anywhere that tell us something more. 1:1 white vinegar wash for an hour or so then wiping with 0000 steel wool under running water will clean most all of the gunk off.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

A quick add...I'm not saying yours is a Rochester. I'm guessing that given your location and especially if you can't find any writing, it's likely one made in the UK. I'll wander thru Graham Turner's book and see if I can get some hints.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Chappie
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Chappie »

Hi,
Very many thanks for your help.
I cleaned it up as you suggested however there
is no identifying marks at all.
Would you hazard a guess as to what age it could be.
Kind Regards
Grant
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Just an observation- I see similarities to the US Carter patent design from the early 1900's. Those have similar looking knurled "screw-off" end caps. A number of US makers used that design (Meisselbach, Union Hardware, later mass production Meek Blue Grass, for example) but they are more dainty and I've never seen one made of such thick uncoated brass and with a wide tongue foot.

Paul M
Chappie
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Chappie »

Many thanks once again.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

When you cleaned it up, were you able to dismantle it? As Paul indicated, it looks like the ends will screw off, as with the Carter patent. Perhaps after the vinegar soak, it might come loose. Perhaps you could post pics of the reel post cleaning?

BTW, i did look through Turner's book, but got no leads.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Grant, the most interesting feature of your reel is its 1-piece drum frame. Having screw-in or screw-on sideplates is practically a necessity for a frame like that. The earliest 1-piece drum frame I know of was patented in the US in 1883, and, like yours, it had a foot riveted to the bottom of the frame. The frame was threaded internally for the sideplates. The Meisselbachs patented a 1-piece frame in 1889, but they called it a drag for what would become the Expert reel. Of course, it didn't need sideplates. If your reel was found in NZ, I would guess that it's of British origin. Am also guessing that what looks like a sliding rim button operates a click. If so, that would make it a single-action click reel with a frame either inspired by an American invention or invented independently down your way. (It ain't rocket science.)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Does the spool turn the same direction as the handle or does it rotate backward when cranked??
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member