Mitchel reel dating.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
tunageo
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchel reel dating.

Post by tunageo »

This reel is marked with a date of 08 which is the month August, my information is that the factory was closed in August so no reels should have this number, which is visible in the photo. Does this numbering make this reel unique? Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

George
Last edited by tunageo on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunageo
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Assistance with Mitchel reel information pertaining to unusual manufacture date.

Post by tunageo »

Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchel reel dating.

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Not sure where you got information that the last digit(s) of the serial number on Mitchell reels represent the month made? Also, I've never seen white painted serial numbers on the bottom a Mitchell reel. Photos from all angles would be nice to help verify a general time frame of when your reel was made. A valid original serial number should be stamped/etched into the bottom of the foot or on the body. A with 5 numbers following should date it around 1950. Mitchell had varying number systems but they numbered reels in sequence, and month of manufacture was not part of their numbering system that I am aware of.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I agree. While there is some debate about the Mitchell reel serial numbers and dates of manufacture, it is generally accepted that the earlier serial numbers were sequential. Some of the later numbers(1970s-1980s) may represent years/months/production lines in the numbering depending on which theory you follow. On another note, it is hard to tell from the picture but I believe the serial number is struck pretty deep in the metal which makes it appear painted. I have another early "A" series reel, with a similar very clear and deep struck serial number
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

or perhaps paint or white-out has been added to make it show better?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
tunageo
Big ORCA Fan

Post by tunageo »

Thanks for the response, this is my first post as a new member, I am having trouble including photos of the reel showing the stamped number,the white coloring is corroded Aluminum.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Looks like you're doing pretty good with the photos! Nice reel
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Your reel is in nice condition. The corrosion aspect clarifies why the serial number looks white. The last two numbers do not mean the month made on Mitchell reels. It is from the '49-'51 time frame. That era half bail originally came with a ribbed aluminum handle knob. Chances are someone switched the knob or the entire handle since it has the plastic type now. The spring activated handle flip is correct, though.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027