“If I only had a heart” From the Wizard of Oz.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Somehow, this one reminds me of the Tinman from that classic movie. Bright and shiny- can even hear it it saying “oilcan, oilcan” if you listen closely enough! Yep- if the tinman went fishing, I bet this would be his reel!

Another “find” from a flea market dealer’s table. This seller/collector was surprised when I picked it out from the other old reels he had! He said it was “just a homemade”.

Aluminum 1-pc frame and foot. Pillars aluminum? (non-magnetic and not brass?). Screws and spool are steel. No click, no drag. Very close tolerances followed in construction, but some hammering/ shaping marks showing. As per Dr. Todd, that would indicate probably a “shop-made” or “after hours” job (Thanks Doc, I’m learning!).

I was confused by the raised “housings” on both endplates. I figured they were for the gearing, but then realized this was a single action reel, with no click and no drag that would need the room. Hmm. Spun the handle a few times- spun so freely and smoothly... like it had ball-bearings! My thinking is that the two housings are for the bearings? Now, if you look at the pics, there are three brass circular things on the face of both housings filed flush. Are these the ends of posts of some sort designed to keep the ball bearings in place?

What seems obvious is the Bakelite bar going across the reel. It’s been shaped, and it can rotate. Seems to me that would be some kind of level wind? At least it would keep the line bunched in the center of the spool I think. Reminds me of the level wind bar on the Spiral-Wind reels, except without the spiral!

Finally, and I’m at a complete loss on this, is the little tab with the small hole through it attached on top of the rim of the backplate! It’s held fixed, does not move, by the same screw that holds one of the pillars. I don’t even have a guess as to it’s function- help?

Another fascinating reel as far as I’m concerned! Well-made, but obviously a “homer” (someone here used that term and I like it!). Some great ideas/innovations incorporated into this reel. The maker was obviously not only a skilled machinist, but a creative tinkerer as well!

Time frame? 1930-40’s?

Thanks for taking the time to see another from my collection and I would certainly appreciate your thoughts! Best---- Joe Walkowski (ORCA!)

Remember the “Proud Mary” reel? Quick link

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org/viewtopi ... 1&t=19609)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: “If I only had a heart” From the Wizard of Oz.

Post by john elder »

Neat piece, Joe! You should put some line on and see how the "levelwind" behaves.b it may be that just a subtle rock from side to side while cranking would do the trick.

I wonder if the little piece with the hole might serve as a hook keeper?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

I like it a lot. And I think Dr.Elder's suggestion of the tab as a hook keeper to be a solid hypothesis.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

It looks to me like the grasps were turned with a free-hand. It shows an interesting mix of skill and folksy implementation. Those brass pegs are intriguing. Please post more pics if you end up dismantling the side plates from the spool

Paul M
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

john elder wrote:Neat piece, Joe! You should put some line on and see how the "levelwind" behaves.b it may be that just a subtle rock from side to side while cranking would do the trick.

I wonder if the little piece with the hole might serve as a hook keeper?
I'll give it a try with some line on it. Will let you know. And, good call I think on the hook keeper. The hole's kinda small though- a #6 hook barely fits through it. I had a thought- what about a hole to tie a piece of line to the rod to act as a safety line in case the reel slips its seat?
Paul M wrote:It looks to me like the grasps were turned with a free-hand. It shows an interesting mix of skill and folksy implementation. Those brass pegs are intriguing. Please post more pics if you end up dismantling the side plates from the spool

Paul M
Yea! Didn't notice but the grips ARE slightly different! Good eyes! But sorry, ain't no way I'm going to try and take it apart. Whenever I try and take ANYTHING apart and put it back together, I either end up with parts left over, or missing parts!

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts! I'm learning a lot about my "homer" collection! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)

(PS- Obviously, if any of you have any home made reels that you would like to go to a good home, give me a PM or email. I'd like to add to my collection! Thanks again!)
Last edited by JoeW on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Followup- Naw, that little tab with the hole: it would be a very poor location to tie a tether line from the reel to the rod. My bad!

Followup- cranked some line onto the reel using the "level wind" bar. Hmmm- not much different than if the line just ran over a cross bar. Line bunched in the middle of the spool. Must be missing something here. I guess it's better to have the line directed to the middle than the ends of the spool where it might get caught behind the spool? I would have cranked more line onto it, but geez, those single action reels are murder! My hand got tired! Best- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)