How to swap fishing line on your reel quickly

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Billy Berrill
Big ORCA Fan

How to swap fishing line on your reel quickly

Post by Billy Berrill »

What are some tips or tricks you can tell us that would help our fishing go better. Whether it's a way to catch more fish, rig up quicker, or storage solutions or anything you want to share please post it here. Here is a video I made on how to change line on your line really quickly:
https://youtu.be/cowgDJPKg9w
I'm :fished
Last edited by Billy Berrill on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Fishing tips and tricks that make fishing fun and easy

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Good idea. You can take it one step further by using a 16D common nail with the head out, and once you're done, unchucking the nail and throwing the whole thing away if you don't feel like recycling the line.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Billy Berrill
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Fishing tips and tricks that make fishing fun and easy

Post by Billy Berrill »

Midway Tommy D wrote:Good idea. You can take it one step further by using a 16D common nail with the head out, and once you're done, unchucking the nail and throwing the whole thing away if you don't feel like recycling the line.
That is actually a great idea. As long as the item can be used in the drill and you don't need it anymore. I never recycle line
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

One quick little kink...

Post by JoeW »

In the "old days", a little gimmick or trick was called a "kink"! Trust me on that.

Hey Billy Berrill- I enjoy your vids! Great job!

Here's one that I remember to do about half the time. When your standing by the pond, or lake, or by your car, or in a boat and you're stringing up a 2 or 3 piece rod... run your line through the guides on all the sections BEFORE joining the sections together! Saves you doing a lot of reaching and leaning, or resting the rod butt on the ground or in the water! You don't even have to stand up (as in a boat on choppy water!). Just make sure the line hasn't wrapped around a section before you join them. Works also to clear a fouled tip top guide if your line or lure tangles on it. Just do it in reverse! Take apart the tip section, clear the foul, rejoin the sections. Works well especially if you do a lot of deep wading like I do for Steelhead and you don't feel like wading all the way back to shore. Makes me cringe sometimes when I see a guy grab an expensive 9' fly rod by the middle, hold it out in one direction while trying to reach the tip with his other hand! Puts quite a bend in that rod! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Billy Berrill
Big ORCA Fan

Re: One quick little kink...

Post by Billy Berrill »

JoeW wrote:In the "old days", a little gimmick or trick was called a "kink"! Trust me on that.

Hey Billy Berrill- I enjoy your vids! Great job!

Here's one that I remember to do about half the time. When your standing by the pond, or lake, or by your car, or in a boat and you're stringing up a 2 or 3 piece rod... run your line through the guides on all the sections BEFORE joining the sections together! Saves you doing a lot of reaching and leaning, or resting the rod butt on the ground or in the water! You don't even have to stand up (as in a boat on choppy water!). Just make sure the line hasn't wrapped around a section before you join them. Works also to clear a fouled tip top guide if your line or lure tangles on it. Just do it in reverse! Take apart the tip section, clear the foul, rejoin the sections. Works well especially if you do a lot of deep wading like I do for Steelhead and you don't feel like wading all the way back to shore. Makes me cringe sometimes when I see a guy grab an expensive 9' fly rod by the middle, hold it out in one direction while trying to reach the tip with his other hand! Puts quite a bend in that rod! Best--- Joe Walkowski (ORCA)
Thanks joe for the advice and thanks as well for watching my videos. I will have more coming soon I hope. I'll be trying your advice this weekend. I'll see how it goes.