This reel deserves to be discussed here

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

This reel deserves to be discussed here

Post by Mike N »

It appears to be very old. The grasp and crank look like replacements and the pillar screws are pretty bad. The foot screws are soldered.

I am not a bidder on this (yet), but would like to know the thoughts of some other Kentucky reel lovers...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152488183708?rm ... noapp=true
Last edited by Mike N on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Re: This reel deserves to be discussed here

Post by WeeKilt »

I sure can't venture an opinion on this reel other than to say "kudos" to the seller for posting an accurate description. Pretty nifty though, and someone thinks it's worthwhile as the bids seem to keep climbing. I saw that this morning and wondered about it myself, but I'm on "tight lines" for collecting lately with an impending family vacation inbound. Wouldn't do to spend the vaca money on reels... right, wife? :lol:
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

She just chimed in... and the answer was NO, as expected! :bash:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Saw your post, Mike and knew exactly what reel you meant without looking! You are the pro with KY style reels and if you and Ron don't know, I'm certainly out of play. Steve! What is this??!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Well, John, let's just say I love it.

It looks like a reel that could have been built by BC Milam's or JL Sage's apprentice, hence the lack of a maker's mark. It's in their style, but with no fancy knurling of the posts. I think both the handle and the grasp are likely replacements after looking at the fit and patina.

The foot is very nice, and a great length for a small reel (I just noted that the seller lists the diameter as 2" which is a No. 3 Kentucky size.) I can't figure why the screws are so terribly stripped and the engraving so worn when the foot looks so great. I love brass Kentucky reels, but brass wears faster than German silver. Maybe the solder is a clue of a replaced foot.

It's a classic, and on further reflection may renege on my pledge not to bid.
Last edited by Mike N on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It would be so hard for me to own that reel and not "fix" it. Some screws poorly replaced and the remaining original ones are so thoroughly trashed, they are just begging to be replaced. In fact, it looks like several things have been replaced, such as the drag, to keep the reel in service over the years. Brass is a joy to work with, due to the very trait that leaves it vulnerable to stripped screws and poor wear capabilities.

I suppose it's like Wayne's Stutz Bearcat find on Chasing CLassic Cars...it's best left as is.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

john elder wrote:It would be so hard for me to own that reel and not "fix" it. Some screws poorly replaced and the remaining original ones are so thoroughly trashed, they are just begging to be replaced. In fact, it looks like several things have been replaced, such as the drag, to keep the reel in service over the years. Brass is a joy to work with, due to the very trait that leaves it vulnerable to stripped screws and poor wear capabilities.

I suppose it's like Wayne's Stutz Bearcat find on Chasing CLassic Cars...it's best left as is.
John- I think your initial response was correct-- it needs rehabbed.

I draw a bright line between correcting normal wear and tear versus correcting a reel's abuse by a previous irresponsible owner.

Hence, in my view it would be improper to re-etch the worn initials inscription BUT it is ok to replace the stripped screws caused by some guy using the wrong sized screwdriver. Refitting the crank handle to fit that square nut and replacing the grasp with a period grasp would fall in the latter category and be ok by me.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Sold $609
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990