“Meaner than a junkyard dog” Jim Croce

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

“Meaner than a junkyard dog” Jim Croce

Post by JoeW »

“Meaner than a junkyard dog” from "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown" by Jim Croce
Another homer- has to be! Five different nuts on 3 different kinds of threaded bolts! A real hodge-podge of materials here... As if made from “junkyard” parts! I’m surprised the maker didn’t use a bent nail to secure something!

Construction: endplates, foot, crank, knob, and spool are all brass, seemingly nickel plated or washed? Bolts (they’re bolts because they need a nut on the end, right?) are the only things steel. Very solid and heavy! Long reel seat! The reel DOES have a permanent click, works well, despite the crudeness. No clue as to what the little hole is on the edge of the back plate- hook keeper? Trying to decide whether it’s a bait reel or a fly reel- by the dimensions, I suspect a fly reel?

And a question- the brass spool has the “tapered ends” (for lack of a better term) or “sloping” ends to them, like on any number of typical baitcasters. Those would have to be pretty difficult for a home shop guy to make, right? I’m thinking the maker must have used a spool from another factory reel, or from...? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yea, not a Snyder or a Meek, just a good ol’ reel some guy made to take fishing! I really enjoy them! Added two new ones a week ago!
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: “Meaner than a junkyard dog” Jim Croce

Post by Mike N »

I think it's a classic.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990