Otto Henze (PENN Tackle) Photo First Shop

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Otto Henze (PENN Tackle) Photo First Shop

Post by Tom R »

After leaving his machinist position at Ocean City Reels in Philadelphia in 1932, Otto Henze rented the third floor at 492 N Third Street, Philadelphia from William Schmitz & Company, a general machinist firm. The building, long abandoned in this 1964 photo, was in the path of the 1960's urban renewal craze. Fortunately the City of Philadelphia had the foresight to photo document many buildings earmarked for demolition. Note the William Schmitz & Company sign hanging from the facade.

Photo courtesy of the City of Philadelphia, Department of Records, Historic Commission, file #12846-29.
PhillyHistory.org, a project of the Philadelphia Department of Records
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Otto Henze (PENN Tackle) Photo First Shop

Post by Mike N »

Great photo. Thank you. Since I was a kid, a machine shop has always been a magical place to me. I still love to look at the lathes & drill presses etc. and watch a real craftsman machinist at work.

I can't image how hot it must of been on that third floor during the summer, and how difficult it was to get all that heavy machinery and raw steel up those two flights. That was truly the "no excuses" generation.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Truly a great photo! Getting his equipment to the third floor was probably not that bad. At that time Otto Henze would have been working with small machines. He was not molding his own side plates yet, so his space requirement were not great yet. This was his first location in 1933. By 1934, he had moved to a larger facility at 159 W. Lehigh Ave., Phil., Pa. where he stayed until WW II.
I wonder if you could find a picture of that location?
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food
Tom R
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom R »

m3040c wrote: This was his first location in 1933. By 1934, he had moved to a larger facility at 159 W. Lehigh Ave., Phil., Pa. where he stayed until WW II.
I wonder if you could find a picture of that location?
Mike, Thanks for the Lehigh Ave address. I wasn't aware of this location. I did a quick search and could not turn up a photo. However there are over 2 million images in the Phila archives but only 10% have downloaded online, so maybe there is a photo! I'll continue to search and will post a photo if located.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike, Thanks for the Lehigh Ave address. I wasn't aware of this location. I did a quick search and could not turn up a photo. However there are over 2 million images in the Phila archives but only 10% have downloaded online, so maybe there is a photo! I'll continue to search and will post a photo if located.
Thanks!!
mike cass,,, if you can't collect it, it must be food