Info for an Ebonite HR Salmon Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Info for an Ebonite HR Salmon Reel

Post by desertangler »

Hi Everyone,

The more I look at this the more questions I have! A beastly 4.5 inches, nickel rimmed, brass foot and pillars, nickel clicker button, brass bearing cap. Original handle has been replaced with a German silver Governor drag handle that has a nicely clipped counterweight to fit the recessed face. Maybe the original handle was winch style? I believe the handle dates from around 1910 and it does have the 1902 patent date on the backside. The decorative bearing cap and screw sleeves really have me wondering about the maker and age of this reel, as they seem unusual. Any info would be appreciated, although I know it is difficult to ID these reels if unmarked. Lastly, I so, so, so want to clean this reel! Feel free to weigh in! :)

Cheers,

George

:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Info for an Ebonite HR Salmon Reel

Post by reelsmith. »

My guess is it is English in origin and someone replaced the revolving handle plate with that handle.

I think it originally looked something like this ...

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Info for an Ebonite HR Salmon Reel

Post by desertangler »

Thanks Dean!

George