Need to be educated on this Shakespeare reel.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Need to be educated on this Shakespeare reel.

Post by Bill Sonnett »

A friend of mine showed me two reels yesterday that he acquired at an estate sale. Both reels are nicely engraved with the name LeRoy Shaw. The first reel I want to show here is something new on me and I am looking for opinions or information on what the story is with this reel. It is a #1965 Professional model 26. A very smooth running reel by the way.The screws, handle nut, the post behind the handle, pin ends that are exposed on both end plates, the drag and click adjustment wheels and the end caps all appear to have an anodized gold finish. The spacers are a gray finish rather than black. Hoping a Shakespeare collector can educate me in this reel. Whatever process was used to achieve this gold finish was very well done by either the factory or a professional craftsman. The second reel is not nearly exciting and I will get to it later. ImageImageImageImage
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Need to be educated on this Shakespeare reel.

Post by oc1 »

I can't help with the history or plating but, wow, what a sharp looking reel. I especially like the way Shakespeare is engraved on the head plate. The line is unusual too. Linen of the time was usually a harder lay to keep it from being fuzzy. Silk of the time was usually braided.
-steve
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Could very well be a gold plated presentation reel from the factory, rather than anodized. Maybe Leroy was connected with the company in some way.
Mark
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

It occurred to me after I posted this that it may be a presentation to an employee. The other reel is a nice quality 1918 model reel with very ornate engraving of the same owner's name but no model name or any writing whatsoever on the palm plate and only the word "Shakespeare" on the other side. I will post a picture of it tomorrow on this thread.
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

This is the second reel found at an estate sale in Lansing Michigan by a friend. As can be seen here it is nicely engraved to "S.LeRoy Shaw". It is stamped 1918 model on the foot and the word "Shakespeare" appears on the faceplate. the is no other designation on the reel, the palm plate being completely blank. I may be overlooking something obvious here but it seems too nice a reel not to have a model name.
'ImageImageImageImage
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

To me, it looks more and more like both reels were made for or by an employee. Perhaps Wm. Shakespeare's grandson Erik Jeska, an ORCA member, has access to early employee records?
Mark
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Ta-da!

(from a 1931 Kalamazoo directory)

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Steve you are the Master people researcher :bow: :bow: :bow: . I thought you might be able to narrow down the search. Great job!!!!!

Colby
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Thanks, Colby, you're too kind. Couldn't have done it without my trusty Ancestry.com subscription :type:

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Wow! that is fantastic news Steve. Eric Jeska will be pleased as well as the owner.
Can't thank you enough