horrocks-Ibbotson Trade reel-"Permamesh"

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

horrocks-Ibbotson Trade reel-"Permamesh"

Post by john elder »

Thought I'd post the pics of the innards on this reel, which I found pretty interesting and intricate for a low-end trade reel. This one is named "North Sea", although I see in the archives that another presumably similar reel was named "Albacore". The free spool throw-out is a bit different from what is normally seen, as is the Permamesh set-up to engage/disengage the gear from the spool. In this reel, the back side bearing contained an actual ball bearing. Whether this was added later to snug things up or was how the reel came from the factory, I don't know. Perhaps someone can say whether other reels in the series are rigged in similar manner?

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: horrocks-Ibbotson Trade reel-"Permamesh"

Post by oc1 »

I can't help with the history, but what a cool clutch that is. It actually has some advantages over the later (and still modern) yoke and ramp approach when it is thrown into gear while a fish is running. Does the right side of the coupler ride on a notch and ridge to keep it from rotating on the tubular pinion shaft? The reel probably casts well too. Do you have a photo of the ball bearing in the end cap.
-steve
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Steve, the coupler is part of the pinion gear, so when free spool lever is thrown, the whole thing retracts, then when thrown the other way, the coupler makes contact with the spool again.

Not much to see re that ball bearing, but here tis:

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Hey John heads up about 20 years ago I sold a version of that reel made with clear side plates. It wound up be used and was filled with grease.The collector who got it from me cleaned it up nicely and actually polished out the scratches from use. He's gone about 10 years now and the collection was sold off on eBay so it could be any where. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

LOL. John, that's not exactly what I was imagining when you said "ball bearing". A really good idea when you think about it though.
-steve