Lang Auction prices realized link

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Lang Auction prices realized link

Post by Mike N »

About 1800 items, with a decent mix of reels, including several that were owned by Al Foss. Auction is April 22-23.

Here is a link to the free, on-line catalog:

https://live.langsauction.com/auctions/ ... 22-23-2017
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Lang Auction prices realized link

Post by Mike N »

Click the catalog link above for prices realized.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Top reel prices:

Lot 39 Leonard Salmon Bi-Metal..... $ 10,500 (without buyer's premium added)

Lot 1 Jack Charlton titanium fly reel... $7,500

Lot 71 Tiny EVH No. 5 Peerless trout reel...$6,750

Lot 78 Talbot Ben Hur 101 Trout.... $6,500

Lot 14 Bogdan Anniversary pair.... $6,500

Lot 15 Bogdan 400 Salmon.... $4,000

Lot 16 Bogdan 400 Salmon.... $3,900

Lot 658 Al Foss 3-25 Tournament Casting.... $1,300

Lot 651 Al Foss Talbot... $800

Lot 653 Al Foss Horton/Meek Freespool No. 3.... $800
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I won an auction on Lang's on April 22,2017 and the reel that I won the auction on is missing the eccentric lever. I did not notice it was missing till after I won. Am I out of luck (if i decide not to keep it?) (note: edited to remove potential libel issues... admin)
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

This will be the last auction link I ever post trying to promote the hobby.
Last edited by Mike N on Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

It might be worth it to give them a call and explain that the description was not accurate and that you both initially "missed" it. They are good people to work with.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I assume you must mean the 4/0 Atlapac?
https://live.langsauction.com/lots/view ... water-reel

That looks so neat, I'm guessing that it was just overlooked. I'm sure there won't be an issue with it...just contact Jim Schottenham or Debbie at Langs and they will take care of you. But for you got that reel for, you should just consider keeping it and finding that knob, unless there are other issues internally...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Mike, whatever you do, kindly keep us in the loop so we can learn from your experience.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Paul, I think you could look at it a few different ways and a couple were mentioned previously. If I were in the market for that reel, I would be looking at everything in the photos and it's pretty clear that the freespool lever, along with a couple of other things, are unusual. The photos provided show exactly what's going on. I'm always looking for these reels and am pretty familiar with them so I would pick up on it more than others but I don't think you can say you were deceived or tricked. They describe things to the best of their ability and, while their collective knowledge is impressive, I don't expect everyone to know everything. When buying from auctions, or anywhere for that matter, I try to make sure I know exactly what a reel should look like and do some research to make sure I'm getting what I want. I've purchased reels not knowing something was off and only noticed it after having them in my collection for years but I just chalk it up to living and learning and knowing better next time.

But what I do find interesting about the reel is that the freespool lever was purposely either cut and ground off to remove it carefully enough to leave the round decorative base and not just a screw head visible on the plate. That tells me the fisherman didn't want the freespool feature at all - kind of an oddball thing but appeals to reel collectors who look for nice modifications.

Overall, I'd say the price you paid, and guessing even with the buyer's premium, that you got a good deal. If anything, people would have paid $150 for that case alone. I'm sure Langs would be willing to talk about it with you .......or you could let me know if you want to sell the whole package :D
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Hey, get in line, Funai! I just talked with Jim S about that reel and it never had a free spool...no throw-out internally. Someone wanted it set up to go into free spool by backing off the drag, in the traditional style of the early makers. So Paul, if you get it and want to sell it, I'll pay what you have in it plus 10 bucks more than Brian offers! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

That's pretty funny about the reel purposely being stepped back in technology! Pflueger made that exact configuration in the Adams (basically the Atlapac, less the mechanical thumber and FS) but discontinued making it, presumably because it didn't sell. I guess there was one fan of that reel still left!

Lol, Reel Wars
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Thank you John, Brian, Mark and Mike for the kind words. I have indeed emailed and left a voice msg for the buyer. Lang's will absolutely stand behind the items we sell and will gladly refund for any item not as described.

As John mentioned, I did inspect the reel prior to the description, and did not see any angler modifications to eliminate a lever. To my eyes, the disk was factory and not ground-down. Internally, there were no signs of a yoke to move the pinion gear or spool away to place in free-spool, which is why the auction description didn't mention "free-spool". I've seen one other reel with a disk only where a lever would have been. Perhaps a special order? Anyway, one originated from Washington state, the other from Illinois, and to my knowledge the two collectors did not know each other.

Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

THAT's pretty interesting, Jim, and thanks for the details! Gotta stow that away my archives. Sounds like they were used for lake fishing.
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Admin note: edits were made above to remove potential disparaging comments while attempting to keep the interesting dialogue about the reel... hope we succeeded!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

fishhead
Advanced Board Poster

Post by fishhead »

I am retracting my previous comments about Lang's Auctions. I found out that the reel I won the auction on, the Pflueger Altapac 4/0 does not come with a free spool lever. My bad. Actually the customer service at Lang's was excellent as one of their experts on antique reels contacted me promptly by email and by phone and gave me some valuable information on the reel I bought. Lang's is top notch and they are very reputable and knowledgable about everything they sell. My apologies for anything I said that was out of line. Lang's is a great place to buy and sell very rare and collectible fishing tackle.