Union Hardware Co.

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Union Hardware Co.

Post by wrong99 »

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of Union Hardware models? I would think someone in the club collects them?
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Union Hardware Co.

Post by wrong99 »

I'll rephrase that: Are there any collectors of Union Hardware reels that are members of ORCA? There seems to be such little information on these reels. Even our library has only one catalog (1927). I find that quite odd, as the reels were produced throughout the 20's and 30's (perhaps even before) and right up until WWII. They are seen virtually every day on eBay, so they were likely produced in staggering numbers. Yet, aside from scant info gleaned from trade catalogs, virtually nothing is known about the different models they made (other than the common Sunnybrook, Samson and Union models). I know that four or five years ago, Dr. Todd was researching them (and their rods) for a possible forthcoming book on the company. Maybe he'll chime in.
Mark
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Mark check with Alan Baracco. He can give you a complete list of Union Hardware reel names that were trademarked. That would be a place to start. :D Colby
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Mark,

This is what Colby is talking about but it is not much help. Union Hardware registered only one US Trademark. Now if you want to look at Enterprise Mfg. Co. trademarks, that is another story, there are 207 of them before 1960 and a few after that. Ha!

Alan

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks guys. Like I was saying, just not much out there. Maybe Jim, Skip or Dr. Todd will see this.
Mark
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Well, heck, Mark,

Here is "something"! From 1912.

Cheers, Alan

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Ha! I stand corrected! Thanks, Alan.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

One catalog in the ORCA Library. Don't know if that would help or not. Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

That's the only one I've ever seen, from 1927. That alone is more than strange. Thanks, Jon.
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

My understanding is that they mostly made trade reels with a few exceptions like the Sunnybrook name. The quality, or lack thereof, of their reels often make them identifiable. Mark, some years back you contributed to a fly rod discussion in which it was noted that many low-end South Bend and Montague rods were actually made by Union hardware. I can't imagine anyone collecting them, but to each their own.
-steve
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I've got a few in my collection. I would have to search for them to find them. My collection would be of Reels for those who cannot afford the very best. Mostly low end reels. Jon
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

oc1 wrote:My understanding is that they mostly made trade reels with a few exceptions like the Sunnybrook name. The quality, or lack thereof, of their reels often make them identifiable. Mark, some years back you contributed to a fly rod discussion in which it was noted that many low-end South Bend and Montague rods were actually made by Union hardware. I can't imagine anyone collecting them, but to each their own.
-steve
Although UH supplied numerous retailers with trade models, especially early-on, they would produce their own extensive line of UH-marked reels for at least 20 years. Probably longer. Many, if not most, seem to be low-cost models. But not all. Every now and then one surfaces that I've never seen, like a beautiful #7550 that I just came across. It's actually what got me wondering just how many different models were made and why there is simply no info on them.
Mark
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

wrong99 wrote:like a beautiful #7550 that I just came across.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Mark you know better than that. Don't tease us.

William
Going to the mountains is going home. John Muir

William Garvin
ORCA Member
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Marked "Union Hardware No.7550" on the level-wind cover. Very unusual jeweled oil/bearing caps. Why haven't I seen one of these the last 20 years? Obviously a regular production model. Union Hardware reels are a mystery.
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

Dang... That's really nice for a Union Hardware. Here's a couple of junk models.

The advertisements do not belong to me. I stole them off the web somewhere. 1926 and 1932.

-steve
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thanks, Steve. Here's a few Trade reels that Union Hardware made during the 1920's.
An early reel made exclusively for Montgomery Ward & Co.
A "Crown Mascot" produced for Edward K. Tryon Co.
A "Pennant" brand reel for Butler Bros.
I know more about these obscure Trade reels than I do UH's regular models.
Mark
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Mark,
Maybe we need to look at Union Hardware a little differently. I just recently purchased a 1926 catalog for National Hardware & Stove Company of Paris Texas. They include a page with a Sunnybrook reel in their catalog. They were a large distributing company selling to local hardware stores in the region as well as selling hardware locally. Maybe Union did not actually make any of these reels and they were just a large hardware distributor like National was in Paris Texas. This would also seem to agree with the other reels you show - they were actually not made by Union but some other reel maker. And the reason there are no trade marks registered to Union other than the one Alan posted above.

Colby
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

That's an interesting thought. However, we know that Union Hardware was building steel fishing rods since the late 19th century and were likely the second-most prolific makers of bamboo rods (behind only Montague) well into the 1950's, so they were a tackle manufacturer for at least 60-70 years. Their reel boxes, like the one shown below, also proclaim them to be reel manufacturers. More questions than answers, though.
Mark
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

I have been working on a Union Hardware book with Jim Garrett and Skip Brooks for a couple of years, photos of all known models (most in boxes) have been taken, but getting the text has been a slog. I could write a 400 page book on just the history of the firm there's so much info. It will come out, just don't know when ...
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Guys,

Here is a little more wood for the fire

Alan

Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Pennant was a registered trade name of Butler Bros, a very big trade house ca. 1877-1960 (see July 2011 Reel News). They sold a lot of reels marked Pennant made by a number of makers. Note the above TM is for rods only. The 1907 Butler Bros. catalog reads "Pennant goods are good merchandise. … Pennant is our brand. It stands for quality at honest prices. I marks the article on which it appears and the best that can be sold at its cost.”

Union Hardware made a number of Pennant reel models for Butler Bros. And yes, they did make reels -- a lot of them. Some of their rods were real bargains and actually cast very well. They hired a master rodmaker in 1937 to design a new line of high end rods but the war put the kibosh on that.

The really confusing thing is that there was a Union Hardware Co. that was a general wholesale hardware firm (big catalog and everything) in California with no connection to the Union Hardware Co. in Torrington. They even carried a line of sporting goods including fishing tackle!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I bought a cradle reel from Brian P. a while back and from talking to Brian he seemed to think it might have been associated with Union Hardware. The reel says W. F. Hoerle , Torrington Conn. The reel has 5 1/2" side plates and is narrow I would say 9/0 size ?? It has no throw off so just loosen drag to let line out. When I googled it I came up with an auction for same reel I think and a Fly rod article about Union Hardware. Please let me know if any one knows more. Thanks John Taylor

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

William Hoerle was an Inventor and likely an employee of the company (from at least the 20's to 40's). Many of his inventions were patented and assigned to the Union Hardware Co. His name is seen on numerous UH patents.
Mark
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mark have you seen a patent for this reel or would you know where to look for one ?? John
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

I looked for quite awhile, John, but came up empty.
Mark