Marmora meeting was good

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Marmora meeting was good

Post by Paul M »

There was an independent old tackle show held in Marmora, ON today and the soggy weather made the indoor event a real success. I had the pleasure of meeting up with a number of ORCA members including Norm Bryant, Gary Peck, Jim Wilson and Mike Walker. John Box, who has attended past ORCA conventions came up from Watertown, NY.

Several of us and other local ORCA members including Roger Cannon plan to get together on July 16th in either Toronto or Oshawa to shoot the breeze about old reels, specifically to go over varieties of Pflueger Summits, Inglis Shakespeare reels and who knows what else. If any ORCA members within reasonable driving distance of Toronto want to join us please RSVP.

My haul today included this great box of miscellaneous reel parts that started out as a Shakespeare repair kit but now contains parts for Great Lakes and other odds and ends.... More fun than a barrel of monkeys! Maybe Bill Sonnet will give me tips on how to make the green crud on these NOS handle knobs disappear :)
We tried to help find a handle and nut to complete Jim Wilson's 6 screw Nobby. The best we could cobble up at the show was a matching jewelled end-cap.

I was able to buy a few miscellaneous jewelled end caps, 3 Inglis catalogs that show Shakespeare-Inglis reels, a Shakespeare catalog with Canadian dealer price list, and more than a handful of Canadian reels, including a few I didn't have.

There were many reels for sale but nothing exotic. Great for both beginners and focused collectors interested in filling holes in low-end reel collections. (If I may say so myself, the Slater SEJ Fly Fisher's Winch that I recently restored and finally delivered at the show today was the best looking reel in the place. )

It was fun and worth the effort to go to the Kawarthas.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006