EVH design question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

EVH design question

Post by sdlehr »

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I see more reels, but for now, what is the advantage of the bearings between the star and the drag stack?? Why did he use these bearings instead of a tubular sleeve like I've seen from other makers? This design uses a LOT more parts, and I don't see the advantage...

Thanks.
Sid
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: EVH design question

Post by john elder »

Smooth turning...tight fit without risk of binding. Easy fix if wear occurs, but wear much less likely than with a straight spacer. Not much concern catching crappie...becomes an issue with hard cranking against a 70+ lb bluefin.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:becomes an issue with hard cranking against a 70+ lb bluefin.
I guess the issue would be while changing drag settings during a fight - unless I'm missing something here that is the only time there is movement in this area.... and this was one of the earlier drag designs, so there was a lot of experimentation going on. It'll be interesting to look for this design from other makers that built reels after this time period.
Sid
Sid Lehr
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Sid, as you crank, you are putting back and forth pressure on the crank shaft...in a straight channel, you will (DO!...check a few heavily used early Meek reels!) get wear since it won't support the crank properly. You are right about more parts and more cost. However, solid bearings in races saved the day for those wanting to maintain the quality and strength afforded by those bearings!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks for that information, John. I wasn't thinking of non-rotational forces on the crank, and I've never seen a Meek worn in this way (that I can recall, buy I haven't seen many Meeks). I can see these bearings (and a straight channel) supporting the crank shaft some, but most of the force will be concentrated on the bridge where the post is attached if I understand you correctly, and I don't see this part of the design changing that very much. Maybe I'm still not understanding your explanation?

Thanks for taking the time to humor me.

Sid
Sid Lehr