Old Stevens 12/0

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Old Stevens 12/0

Post by 1badf350 »

My buddy has a Stevens reel. Bottom of stand says 12/0. No other markings. Its got what appears to be black bakelite sideplades and a weird triple lever setup. Im assuming one lever is for freespool, one for drag. No idea about the other one. I asked him to send me pics so I can post them here. We can't find a picture of it using google. Its definitely a big old thing.
Has anyone seen anything similar before?

Last edited by 1badf350 on Thu May 11, 2017 9:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Old Stevens 12/0

Post by john elder »

yes, Pics please! Ed Pritchard has pics of a George Stevens reel on his site, here:

http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/i_mf ... Reels.html

Is it like this?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Here's a direct link to the 2 Stevens photo on Ed's site: http://www.antiquefishingreels.com/phot ... C-021L.JPG
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

I have seen pictures only of the reel your talking and it maybe a Stevens. Ed may or may not have paperwork to backup a 12-0 version. I personally have seen similar reels to Stevens thar may have been a one off machinist piece. I guess the easiest way to determine it is to open up the reel and compare gears, side plate materials etc. I do have an early unmarked version with nickel hardware and black hard rubber like side plates. Many times there labeled as unknowns. Photos would definitely help.if it is a Stevens 12-0 it would be rare indeed!
Tight Lines Nick
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Pictures added to original post. He told me the plaque on the tailplate says Stevens, Miami FLA.
Thank You
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Yes that's the reel I've seen in the past minus the ID tag on the rear plate....very cool reel! If he should decide to sell it I am interested! Tight Lines, Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
1badf350
Advanced Board Poster

Post by 1badf350 »

Thanks Nick, I doubt he wants to sell it. The reason I posted here was to gather some information on the reel such as age, history and an approximate value. If anyone can help with that it would be greatly appreciated.
-Chris R.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

From what I've learned over the years they were considered the poor mans Fi -Nor reel and were sold from the mid 30's to early 40's. Conditions about good * -very good- due to the damage on the front plate and medal frame not to mention holes in foot but still a very rare reel I would love own. My honest offer it would be in the neighborhood of $2,250 2,500. Many collectors like myself try to collect the largest version of every known maker with this being an addition (but rare) as I've a 16-0 but would look nice sitting next to it!
Tight Lines & Good luck Nick in NY
KIWI
Advanced Board Poster

Post by KIWI »

If you truly want to sell I will step up to the plate. My number is (deleted...admin). KIWI on ORCA. PM me if you need an e-mail address. Thanks, Doug