The Wikipedia entry for Hoagy Carmichael

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

The Wikipedia entry for Hoagy Carmichael

Post by sdlehr »

Recently I came upon a post here that featured a video of Hoagy Carmichael that told the story of his purchase of the Garrison rod building shop/equipment. He stated in the video that he had spent decades building rods in this shop, and that he was so happy doing so. I went to Wikipedia to learn more about Hoagy Carmichael, as I had heard the name as a kid growing up in the 60's. To my surprise there was no mention of Carmichael's contribution to the fishing world - I didn't find even a mention of the word "fishing".

Because one of the reasons ORCA exists is to preserve the history of fishing, I believe it ought to be a member here that updates the Wikipedia entry to include at least the most important aspects of Carmichael's contribution to the field. I don't know who is the most qualified to do so.

Sid
Sid Lehr
RonG
Super Board Poster

Re: The Wikipedia entry for Hoagy Carmichael

Post by RonG »

Check out “Hoagy Carmichael on the Garrison Carmichael Bamboo Fly Rod Shop” from New England on the Fly on Vimeo.
The video is available for your viewing pleasure at https://vimeo.com/119820520
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

sdlehr wrote:Recently I came upon a post here that featured a video of Hoagy Carmichael that told the story of his purchase of the Garrison rod building shop/equipment. He stated in the video that he had spent decades building rods in this shop, and that he was so happy doing so. I went to Wikipedia to learn more about Hoagy Carmichael, as I had heard the name as a kid growing up in the 60's. To my surprise there was no mention of Carmichael's contribution to the fishing world - I didn't find even a mention of the word "fishing".

Because one of the reasons ORCA exists is to preserve the history of fishing, I believe it ought to be a member here that updates the Wikipedia entry to include at least the most important aspects of Carmichael's contribution to the field. I don't know who is the most qualified to do so.

Sid
He's very well known on the Classic Fly Rod Forum, where he often contributes. I would think someone there would be qualified in that regard. I don't believe he ever made reels.
Mark
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The Wikipedia article is about "our" Hoagy's father. "In 1937, the year before the birth of the couple's first son, Hoaglund Jr. (Hoagy Bix), Carmichael..." We can ask Hoagy to post an autobiography. Or try this.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Sheesh, now I get it. I've been reading about the son, thinking I've been reading about the father.... This was reinforced by the video I saw, the link to which Ron posted above (yes Ron, that's the video I saw, thanks.). I guess the "Hoagy Carmichael collection" I've been reading about is/was that of the son.

But my point is still valid, for the Wikipedia entry for the father has no mention of the Garrison shop or Hoagy Sr's association with it and donation of it. Anyone can edit Wikpedia, and it probably would be most appropriate that the son edits the entry of his father....

Sheesh, Hoagy Sr. even wrote a book (maybe two) on building fly rods.... and no mention of his association with the sport in the Wikipedia bio. I'm not aware of him having built reels either.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...no mention of his association with the sport in the Wikipedia bio.
Let's clear this up. The Wikipedia bio is about Hoagland Carmichael, best known for his song writing. In the words of his son, Hoagy B. Carmichael, "My father had NO interest in fishing."

It is the son who has built rods, written books on fishing and rod building, collected tackle, and fished. There is no reason for the Wikipedia article to mention anything to do with fishing.

Here are the books and some words from the Wikipedia subject's grandson. You can "meet" Hoagy at some YouTube sites.

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, Steve. I get it now. All this time I've been reading about the son thinking it was the father. Now I understand that the video is also of the son.... sorry to all for the confusion.

Sid
Sid Lehr