AUGERMATIC - Made in England

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

AUGERMATIC - Made in England

Post by reeltackle »

I was fortunate enough to have been on vacation last week in the U.K. and able to make it to their largest antique tackle show in Redditch. My wife would say that it was no coincidence that I scheduled our trip for that week, but you guys know me better than that ........... :roll:

Anyway, I was able to see tons of great English reels and add another cool spinner to my small but growing odd spinning reel collection. The AUGERMATIC, made in England, has lots of fun gizmos and they all work just perfectly on this strange looking reel.

The show itself was great, mostly reels :lol: as well as a good selection of fly and spey rods. There were lots of great Allcock and Hardy fly reels and Neil Freeman even had a few vom Hofe reels to make me feel right at home. Although there were no big game reels worth mentioning, the show was still a blast. Besides reels I saw some pretty cool old England fishing club memorabilia, lots of antiquarian books, and even some cool old fishing clothes. Thankfully, there were very few lures, in "tough" colors or otherwise :wink: in attendance.

I would have to say that he best part about finally getting to a show in the U.K. was being able to put faces with the names I have been trading with for many, many years as well as reconnecting with old friends like Roger Still, Stacey Weeks and Keith Elliott.

Last edited by reeltackle on Sun May 21, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Re: AUGERMATIC - Made in England

Post by Chinook1 »

Ed-

Very nice reel. I love those odd ball spinning reels.

Could you let us all know which show you went to? I eventually would like to get over to Europe and know of a few on the continent, but am unfamiliar with those in the UK.

Thanks,

Steve
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Steve,

The largest show in the U.K. is the Redditch show that has traditionally been held this time of year, however, I heard rumors that they may not have it next year.

There is a show held in conjunction with the three Angling Auctions annual auctions but I'm not sure how big it is but just going to one of Neil's auctions alone would be worth the trip.

Ed
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Cool reel, Ed!

You need do do a step-by-step tutorial on how that crazy looking thing works. :roll: Inquiring minds need to know. :D Does the handle slide back and forth? If so, any idea of the purpose of that function and if not what's the purpose of the slot?
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Stef Duma
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Stef Duma »

The venue has a change of use but the show will still go ahead.

We will be changing and we will be going back to the original venue where one the shows started.

It's the Abbey Stadium next to the Redditch Needle Museum which has a very nice collection of fishing tackle, mainly hook production.

Neil's auction is the day before the Romsey tackle fair.

Stef
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Stef,

The Redditch Needle Museum must be great to visit. There are 51 United States Trademarks from Tackle makers in Redditch, including J. W.Young, S. Allcock, W. E. Compton, Thomas Harper and Henry Milward, to name a few. Must be many more that aren't registered on this side of the pond but rather only in England

One of my favorites:

Cheers,

Alan
Chinook1
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Chinook1 »

Ed-

Many thanks!!

Steve
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

Wow! Now THAT is a real piece of work! I want one! Boo Hoo! Great reel! Best---- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)