Using Vintage Reels

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Using Vintage Reels

Post by GLD56 »

Anybody use vintage casting reels to fish with? I have a Heddon 3-25 that I oiled and lubed, put some 12 lb. braided line on it and put it on a Heddon Pal solid fiberglass rod with a #3 Oriental Wiggler and went out in the back yard for a trial cast or two. 50-60 feet every cast which is plenty far enough for me as I mainly fish farm ponds. Can't wait to try it out after the real thing.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Using Vintage Reels

Post by john elder »

Lots of us do! Planning on doing more in the coming years. Do you have a cork arbor on the teel? That can really improve performance in my experience... both the reel's and fisherpersons!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Some of us are so inept we can't. Couldn't cast without a backlash every time when I was a kid. Have tried a few times since, no luck. 10 bearings or so make it much easier!
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
GLD56
Big ORCA Fan

Post by GLD56 »

I have a few other Heddons 3-35, 3-15 but this 3-25 is smooth as silk. The others appear to drag. I spent my formative years using an Ambassedeur 4500 so it wasn't my first go round with a baitcaster. Now I have to work on accuracy. BTW, no cork arbor.
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

I use a lot of different older spinning reels. It just adds to the fun for me personally. I also enjoy using fiberglass ultralight rods for spinning (new and old).
The sensitivity isn't as good as graphite but the castability is much better for me because of the slow action of the tip. You can really load these rods up and let ultralight lures fly great distances with very little effort. Bass Pro Shops sell nice quality glass spinning rods http://m.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Mic ... uct/36946/
I am sure someone sells new glass casting rods too.
If you like it and can use it well, fish it and enjoy!
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

At this year's ORCA annual convention in Branson there will be a fishing contest with antique tackle as well as an old reel casting contest. Practice now and I hope to see you there.

Paul M