Decided to take the plunge!

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Decided to take the plunge!

Post by JoeW »

After concentrating my focus on old lures for 40 years, I'm getting tired now of touring flea markets, auctions, garage sales, and antique malls and only occasionally making a "find". I've decided to start collecting reels! Particularly earlier/unique open faced spinning reels. Seems to me they are available and usually very reasonably priced! I think they have been overlooked by today's collectors? I've always liked the mechanics of the old spinners- Man, when you turn the handle things are popping in and out, spinning around, clicking, clacking, on and off buttons. And the open face is the reel I grew up with- Mitchell 300 go figure!

Need help! I need a reference with some history, dates, values. I'm led to Ben Wright's book. Ben lived about 40 miles down the road from me and we made many reels- for- lures swaps a lot of years ago. Now, the help please- I am at a loss as to which versions to buy! There's a 1999 second edition, the a supplement (2002) to the third edition. But for the life of me, I can't locate a third edition. I assume the third edition is not a "stand alone" reference? Looks like I need a third edition AND the suppliment? Can someone direct me to sources for those? I don't see them at the ORCA store.

What a great way to start off in anew direction, eh? Can't even figure out what books to get! Thanks for anty help! Best--- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Decided to take the plunge!

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Congratulations, Joe, on finally seeing the light! :mrgreen:

You really should concentrate on trying to find Ben's last, 2011, publication. Here's an example and review. They are becoming very difficult to find these days. If you want something in the interim get the 2002 edition & its 2006 supplement. I have all of Ben's publications and use the 2011 at least once or twice a week for reference! You might want to contact Bert to see if he has any left. He sold most of Ben's collection for Shari.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Joe, check out my list of reels for sale on the sale page. There are a couple...Ru Mer and Luxor at least, that would make a nice starter kit for dead cheep! Volume buys availabe at discount...shipping is the same for me to eat, if one or three of these!

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Hi Joe! Welcome aboard! Folks here can be a bit cranky, but they're never a drag, and always reel.
JoeW
Advanced Board Poster

Post by JoeW »

David Lehmann wrote:Hi Joe! Welcome aboard! Folks here can be a bit cranky, but they're never a drag, and always reel.
I really like the above description! And yea, I already know what good people are here! I've always felt that I ... "reely" belonged! Thanks for the posts and emails helping me get started. Now I collect old lures, AND homemade reels, AND old Open Face Spinning Reels!

We'll be talking! Best--- Joe Walkowski (WNYTC, ORCA)
Joseph's Lures & Fishing Tackle Collectibles
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JosephsLures?view_type=list
Stop in for a look around! Best--- Joe ("Joseph") Walkowski (ORCA)