Penn Senator 9/0 reel used in movie? Jaws

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
dspace71
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Senator 9/0 reel used in movie? Jaws

Post by dspace71 »

Hello. I recently found this reel in my parents attic. It is a Penn Senator 9/0, mounted to a 7-8" piece of bamboo. It has 'UNIVERSAL PICTURES SPECIAL EFFECTS' hand engrave on the outer ring. It appears to be original, other than the engraving, and I assume it was part of a movie production. I Know from reading the posts here, that Shaw used a 16/0 in 'Jaws', but maybe it was used elsewhere in the movie? Just curious about its history and value. If anyone knows, or knows somebody who might know any information about it, please let me know. Thanks, dsp
This is a correction, I previously quoted UNIVERSAL STUDIOS, it should have read UNIVERSAL PICTURES
Last edited by dspace71 on Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn Senator 9/0 reel used in movie? Jaws

Post by john elder »

I guess I'd have to wonder why Universal Studios would bother to grind in their name on the side, especially since it might interfere with filming at some point. Seems more likely an attempt by someone to create value where very little exists. What's the history? Where do you think your parents scored it?
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
dspace71
Big ORCA Fan

Post by dspace71 »

I thought about that also, with my luck you are probably right. I know nothing about the history of the reel. Thanks for the input.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

...wonder why Universal Studios would bother to grind in their name on the side...
Maybe just a y'know, this-belongs-to-us thing so it doesn't get lost or um, misplaced. Could've been used for anything; fishing reels are handy items for tensioning devices, making ghosts fly across a room, flying kites, model airplanes, towing model boats or camera rigs in water, whatever. Doesn't have to be more than that really.

The Hollywood prop warehouses must be a lot of fun to rummage in!

Robert Janssen
Sweden