Penn Squidder 145LH

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mx400ex72
Big ORCA Fan

Penn Squidder 145LH

Post by Mx400ex72 »

Can anyone tell me about a Penn Squidder 145LH?

I found one and I'm familiar with Squidder, but I can not find any information to suggest this real exists. I know it to be a Left handed Squidder 145, but again the internet seems to be suggest this model doesn't exist.

I can take some pics, but it is clearly marked on the side as 145LH.

Is this rare? What's the value?

Thanks.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Penn Squidder 145LH

Post by sdlehr »

The 145 was manufactured in the 60's and 70's, a little later than most of my Penn knowledge. Penn often created LH reels just by changing the gear sleeve, star, gearing and head plate orientation (the AR dog had to be mounted on the other side), but usually, the designation "LH" was not on the side plate - but there were plenty of LH models that did have this designation. It would be interesting to compile a list of which models had unique LH side plates and which did not. This wouldn't be the first time Penn made a reel that didn't appear in the catalogs (to be sure this was the case one would have to go through all the catalogs in the 60's and 70's, and I would, but I don't have them). Try to find a 286 in the catalog. It, too, shouldn't exist. Someone else with more specific info will probably come along soon.
Sid Lehr
Mx400ex72
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Mx400ex72 »

Thanks Sid. Still doing my own searching, but not finding anything. Look forward to if others have any info.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Hopefully, Mike and Ray will be along soon to comment on this, if they know anything (apologies to other Penn aficionados, I don't yet know who you are). It would also be of value to know if they know nothing of this.
Sid Lehr
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

The earliest reels were modified by Penn when you wanted a left handed reel. Catalogs said $1.00 or $2.00 for mod's.
From 1949 Penn made the LH reels marked with the LH in the Head plate logo like yours and were reels on the shelf ready for sale.

As the LH reels numbers are a lot less than the usual RH made reels they are harder to find and are more expensive. Particularly the earlier models .

Ray