early half bail mitchell

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

early half bail mitchell

Post by chrisham61 »

mitchell 301 half bail serial number starts with b.How rare are these .Were any made with serial numbers starting with A.Are they valuable?
Chris Ham
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: early half bail mitchell

Post by spadej1 »

Does the reel say Mitchell 301? The early left handed reels (right hand wind) only said Mitchell on the side plate, and it was upside down. I believe the serial numbers on these started with B and it should have a spring loaded handle with a rounded aluminum knob. I wouldn't say they are valuable, but they are desirable because of relative rarity. I've seen them sell for $25-100 depending on condition and whether or not it has the right handle. Of course, I'm sure there are others around here who may know better, so I hope they correct me if I'm wrong.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Yes there were serial numbers starting with A beginning 1949/50ish. They made reels for ten years, beginning in 1939, with various numbers prior to adding the A prefix. B prefix is sometimes considered a transition reel, mainly because there are also B full bails. The B reels were 1951/52ish. As spadej1 indicated, "Mitchell" should be upside down. Some photos and full serial number would be helpful to date it more precisely. Condition and whether or not all the original parts are still there will determine value. If some of the parts have been changed out the value will drop.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

It had the wrong handle for sure.I have not seen it but my friend said mitchell is inverted on sideplate.serial number is not on the bottom of foot and starts with letter b.I know the 300s had the a prefixing was wandering since the 301 came later if they also started with the @ prefix
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Serial numbers for that era was on the side of the body behind screw post. They moved it back to the bottom of the foot in late '57/58.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

Post by chrisham61 »

serial number b32045 When did the first 301s appear.I dont think they were around until 3rd version
Chris Ham
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

chrisham61 wrote:serial number b32045 When did the first 301s appear.I dont think they were around until 3rd version
Half bail 301 were 3rd version 1950-53. B32045 is more than likely '52/'53ish.

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027