REGIONAL ORCA MEET THIS FRIDAY JUNE 9 in Frankfort, Kentucky

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

REGIONAL ORCA MEET THIS FRIDAY JUNE 9 in Frankfort, Kentucky

Post by Teal »

ORCA REGIONAL MEETING

FRANKFORT KY

FRIDAY, JUNE 9, 2017 10:00 AM – 4:30 PM

JOIN US FOR A CELEBRATION OF THE FRANKFORT KY FISHING REELS THE CAPITAL CITY MUSEUM

The museum has a special room displaying the reels made here in Frankfort during the mid 1800’s to the early 1900’s by BF and JF Meek, BC and John Milam, JL Sage and Clarence Gayle. There are approximately 45 reels representing all of the makers and the evolution of their craft. It also houses the original lathe and the Milam family heirlooms such as the large display reel that was in the shop window, BC Milam’s fishing pole and reel, two of the World Medals, the chuck used by Clarence Gayle to make a part for the atom bomb and detailed descriptions of the reels and the families.

The day will begin with a visit to the exhibit. We will then move across the street to the Kentucky History Center for lunch and a tour of their artifacts on the reels. About 2:00 we will walk a block to the location of the Meek/Milam shop at 222 W. Main Street for the dedication of the Historic Marker recently placed in honor of the shop and the reels. This will be followed by a tour of the makers’ homes in South Frankfort and then a visit to the beautiful Frankfort Cemetery overlooking the Kentucky River where we will view all of the grave sites of the 5 reel makers.
There will be a charge of $20 for the buffet lunch.

Please RSVP (with the number attending) by Thursday, June 8 to:

Betty Barr at bettyanddon@comcast.net
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Re: REGIONAL ORCA MEET THIS FRIDAY JUNE 9 in Frankfort, Kentucky

Post by Robin Sayler »

I just sent my RSVP I'll be there!
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Robin will join Don, Todd, Heidi and me for dinner and a concert downtown on the lawn of the Old State Capitol. We would love to have others join us. Please come!
I will post pictures of the event this weekend.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I really wish I could be there....sounds fantastic...now, if I just had that Lear Jet...
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Betty, you and Don are special people in a special place for an opportunity of a lifetime! Wish I could join you too!
Aloha
Brian F.
_________

ORCA Member 1997
Got a spare reel stamped "Pflueger" or a Montague Imperial?
"Caution, objects in reel view mirror are older than they appear."
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Well today is the big day. I wish I was there with y'all talking about the Kentucky Reel History and gawking at those incredible reels. I was fortunate enough to attend the ORCA National at Frankfort so I have seen many of the historical reel wonders this city has to offer. Actually the latter experience determined the direction my collection would evolve.

Congratulations Betty and Co. on a job well done. :bow: You have become great ambassadors for this chapter of reel history.

Love those Kentucky Reels. I can't wait to see pictures.

William
Going to the mountains is going home. John Muir

William Garvin
ORCA Member
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

If anyone talks to Betty anything she mentions about my rental car situation is probably exaggerated! It will make for some fun conversations in Branson though...
I would like any unusual pflueger casting reels!
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

The regional ORCA meet was very enjoyable. The agenda was packed for the day. We met at the museum to view the Frankfort Reel exhibit, unveiled the new book documenting the collection (See the separate Whitefish Press posting), went to the Historical Society for lunch and show and tell, visited all the houses in Frankfort of the reel makers, and then concluded with a visit to the 2nd oldest cemetary in the country where we viewed all the old Frankfort makers resting places. The new Sage headstone was provided by Betty and Don, and is the best gravestone I have seen for a reel maker. It was a wonderful historical contribution. We also got to ogle various reels, including Robin Sayler's Pflueger Kentucky and a BF Meek #8 presentation reel with a great story to be later reported by Todd Larsen. A wonderful and exhausting time was had by all.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Thank you Matt. Great photography. The Milam family are the group to the right of the Marker.