Reel Makers Site

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Reel Makers Site

Post by OCauto »

I have added a bunch of Reel Makers to the Reel Makers Site in the last few days. All that is there will be Makers names, dates when known. They will all need write ups and photos when possible. I also added a few to the distributors site as well, and they require more info. I don't have the details required to complete the tasks but felt it necessary to begin the documentation. If you find some time to review the additions, please do so and add what you can. I am still working on the By State site and have a ton of info that Don Champion sent me.
Your help will be highly appreciated. If you have a write up and photos, you may e-mail me the info and I can post it for you.

Al
Al Stover
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Reel Makers Site

Post by Steve »

Charles H. Kewell Co., Inc.
437 Market St., San Francisco, Cal.

"Single action aluminum reels" ca. 1920
Better known for their baits and rods

Steve Vernon
ORCA Honorary member

Book: ANTIQUE FISHING REELS, 2nd Ed.
Websites:
Antique Fishing Reels
Kopf reels
Hendrick reels

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Right on, Steve, way back in the day!

Alan

OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Thanks Steve, I posted the info you sent me. I am going to check with Paul on the Trade Mark Info. He was working on that site

Thanks again

Al
Al Stover
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The Kewell/Kewart trademark is in the fishing tackle trademark database published by and available from Alan Baracco and Colby Sorrells. The reason I didn't post it on the FRR trademark section is because the TM certificate didn't specify "including ...reels...". It is one of 261 generic tackle trademarks in the referenced database where the registering company could have used it on reels but that wasn't specified on the TM certificate. For purposes of mass posting a subset of the Baracco/Sorrells research, we were permitted to include the ones specific to reels and the general ones where reels were specifically included in the list. There were a few generic TMs in the list where I was aware of the mark on reels so I added those.

I can certainly add Kewell/Kewart to the FRR trademark lists but I wanted to explain the criteria by which the listings were generated.

Paul Manuel
Alan Baracco
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Alan Baracco »

Paul & Al,

As Paul says, it is not possible to know from the Trademark data if a company or person made reels if all the Reg. Cert. says is "tackle", which is the case with Kewell. We have to rely on our members, like Steve, that know if a maker or distributor belongs on the reel pages.

As an aside, the way the Trademark database is set up, there are also trademarks that specify certain items of tackle, like "lines, nets and lures", which would also be classified as tackle. Presumably, in that case, the mark would not also be applied to reels, but it might. Again, member input would be needed.

The Kewart trademark is the only one Kewell registered, does anyone have a Kewell reel stamped with the TM?

Alan
OCauto
Super Board Poster

Post by OCauto »

Alan Baracco wrote:Paul & Al,

As Paul says, it is not possible to know from the Trademark data if a company or person made reels if all the Reg. Cert. says is "tackle", which is the case with Kewell. We have to rely on our members, like Steve, that know if a maker or distributor belongs on the reel pages.

As an aside, the way the Trademark database is set up, there are also trademarks that specify certain items of tackle, like "lines, nets and lures", which would also be classified as tackle. Presumably, in that case, the mark would not also be applied to reels, but it might. Again, member input would be needed.

The Kewart trademark is the only one Kewell registered, does anyone have a Kewell reel stamped with the TM?

Alan

I found this Ad

Maybe this will solve the question at hand. The reel in the Ad has the Kewart trademark on it.
Al Stover