Need ID On Tiny Brass Reel

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Need ID On Tiny Brass Reel

Post by wrong99 »

Anyone have a clue as to the maker of this little guy"? Likely a 25 yd. capacity. 1-3/4" diameter side plates and with a 1" wide spool. One of the smallest I've handled. Unmarked. Thanks in advance.
Mark
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Need ID On Tiny Brass Reel

Post by Paul M »

Mark:
I recognize the dimple on the tip of the rear journal. It is the same as one on an old brass latch reel I have with an Abbey & Imbrie logo. I thought I recognized the style of brass reel with anti-foul rim and found similar ones in an 1884 A&I catalog that is online here: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/hvd.hwgbp5? ... =%3Bseq=92, although that doesn't indicate the actual maker and the shape of the grasp tip is little different. [My stop latch reel is illustrated on the very next page in the same catalog.]

Paul M
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thank you, Paul. That's a starting point.
Mark
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Any thoughts as to maker? Who were some of the main suppliers to A & I during the 1880's, 1890's?
Mark
oc1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oc1 »

JVH was supplying A&I after the turn of the century and that knob looks JVHish.
-steve
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Mary Kelly's book, The Origins of American Angling, discusses the various Conroy companies as major tackle wholesalers during that period as well as affiliates under various company names involving Malleson and/or Bissett. JVH is mentioned as a possible subcontractor.

A&I was the successor to Andrew Clerk, John Warrin (and Thomas Bate?) but your reel isn't marked A&I so it could be any of these makers plus the possibility of being an import from England.

Paul M