Saturday antique market finds

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Saturday antique market finds

Post by Paul M »

I did well at an antique market on Saturday morning. The best was a new in box Coq D'Or, 4 1/2" centre pin reel by Grice & Young. I also picked up a Pflueger Golden West surf reel, a South Bend 300A, a clean little Hendryx with twist off oil caps and a Betts and Bodeus Smooth Caster. Nothing exotic but some nice examples.

Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Saturday antique market finds

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Well done, Paul. It's always fun to pick up a reel or two a guy doesn't already have. :)
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
mrbiggfish
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mrbiggfish »

Those are some very nice buys Paul.
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Paul, on the Golden West, are the side plates Bakelite or HR? I understand earlier models were HR before the switch to Bakelite...

Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Sid:
It is bakelite verified with the Simichrome test.

Paul
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Paul, please explain the Simichrome test.... I would have gone for a hot needle.... TIA
Sid Lehr
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

If you take a small dab of Simichrome (or Formula 409 cleaner) on a light coloured cloth or on a clean white cotton swab and rub it on dark Bakelite, it will leave a distinct brown streak on the cloth/cotton without having to apply any hand pressure. Actually in this case, the reaction was very aggressive and I had to do a bit of polishing to remove the dull streak that the Simichrome left on my Bakelite sideplate. Using a needle test, my nose could tell the difference between something plastic vs bone but I'm not sure how the smell of vaporized rubber compares to Bakelite. For testing Bakelite, Simichrome is easy and less destructive. I learned this when researching an article on how to detect materials used to make grasps of antique reels (TRN July 2015). The main thrust of the article was to detect ivory but the Simichrome test seemed useful and this proves it.

Paul M
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

Thanks, great explanation. I will try the Simichrome test myself.
Paul M wrote: Using a needle test, my nose could tell the difference between something plastic vs bone but I'm not sure how the smell of vaporized rubber compares to Bakelite.
Paul M
I was referring to the trick in the ORCA Restoration book - a hot needle will penetrate into HR (in an inconspicuous area) but not into Bakelite. But I like the Simichrome test as well....

Paul M wrote: Actually in this case, the reaction was very aggressive and I had to do a bit of polishing to remove the dull streak that the Simichrome left on my Bakelite sideplate.
Paul M
I appreciate your sacrifice for the benefit of my knowledge :o
Sid Lehr