Intro and a reel question

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Intro and a reel question

Post by Snowy Rivers »

Glad to have found this site.
I'm a 65 yo gal from NW Oregon and a retired commercial trucker.
Spent a lotta miles on the road and also owned and operated a gun shop for many years.

No stranger to the boards, but been away from fishing tackle for 40 plus years.

Retired now and getting back into fishing.

Looked through the basement and found some gear that we used when I was a youngster and it was a real journey back to a great time in my life.

Dads Garcia trout pole was still in the cardboard tube he placed it in back about the summer of 1967 and it is in great shape and ready to do what it was meant to do.

Sadly there were no reels left... Seems we sold a lot of stuff off years ago when we built our new place here.

I found the box for my South Bend Sup matic 707 but it was empty :cry:

The South bend reels we had used caught tons of fish and seemed like great units.

I decided to see what was out there in the way of new gear and the field is so huge I could look forever at the new stuff and never really decide.

The other day I was at an estate sale and found four (4) reels that appear to be as new.

These are as follows.

South bend
725A
730A
750A
760A

These are a dark green metalic color reel.
The 725 and 730 are new in unopened (sealed) boxes
The 750 and 760 are without the boxes, but look to have never had line on the spools.

Curious as to when these were made (Thinking late 60's early 70's)

They are so similar to the 707 I had as a kid.

I love vintage things.

Looking forward to getting my grandson out and teaching him the finer points of fishing.

PATIENCE is something this kid needs to learn.

I am certainly no stranger to computers and the electronic gadgetry we have today, but the solitude of fishing is just special.

Any info on the reels would be appreciated

Robyn
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Re: Intro and a reel question

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

All of those So. Bends appear to have been made in the 1970's. Welcome to the club.
Cast your cares upon the Lord. Psalm 55:22
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Snowy Rivers »

Thanks for the reply

I was pretty sure they were made somewhere in that era.

I see in snooping about the net that the 700 series reels were replaced by the 700A series ??

Any idea what that revision entailed ???

Were these reels a good unit ???

We originally had 2 of the 707 reels and they seemed like great reels.

In chatting with a few friends that are serious Bass fishermen the consensus seems to be that anything less than a $600 reel is a waste of time .... :shock:

Well I guess that's fine if $$$$ is no object and you have to compete with teams that look like NASCAR rolled in, but for us common folks that want to enjoy the sport of fishing I wonder ??????

I hear the same sort of chatter in the computer community... Once a system is 6 months old it's junk :?
Ahhhh well.

Gotta love it.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Jim Madden is the resident expert on South Bend Reels. He could answer any question there is. (If he's not out camping and fishing.
Bass Pro Johnny Morris Carbonlite Casting Reels work well and don't cost exorbitantly. Abu-Garcia makes some reasonably priced Casting Reels that work well. Many members fish with vintage reels. I never developed those skills. To me the number of bearings the reel has is an indication of fishability. I'm sure there are others here who would disagree with my thoughts. I am not an expert, just my personal thoughts.
Then He said to them, "follow Me and I will Make you fishers of men". Matthew 4:19
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Snowy Rivers »

I hear ya about the "Fishability"

Dad took me out in the yard at about 10 yo and set me up with an outfit and a lead weight only and sat a 5 gallon bucket out about 50 feet away.

He showed me how to cast the thing a few times and drop the weight in the bucket.

His words were..."When you can drop 5 of 5 in the bucket we will go get you your own outfit"

After many "Rat nests" in the reel and several times worrying the line from tree limbs I got it down to a science.

Dad came home from work one day and I showed him how it was done :-D :-D and we went shopping the next day for my outfit.

Sadly I sold it a few years back as I was feeling like fishing was not in my future and that someone could enjoy the stuff more than me having it sitting in the corner gathering dust.

I regret selling it, butttttttttttttttttt, thats life

I would like to teach my grandson "HOW ITS DONE"

The new high tech reels are waaaaaay cool and all, but I wanted to get back to an earlier time when things were far more simple.

The 60's and 70's were a good time in my life and these reels bring back good vibes ya know.

Searching about I have scared up the complete 700A series now and looking at the 800 series

I found the 725A yesterday and bought it.
Found the 760A and trying to deal on it.

Do I need these??? not even, but they are cool and fun to mess with.

When we get to 65 yo it takes a lot to stir up a smile, but these little jewels do indeed.

We can see who chimes in on the SB reels.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Robyn we have a bit of a subgroup in ORCA of folks who enjoy fishing with vintage tackle. It creates the same sense of satisfaction and accomplishment one might get from hunting with a bow or a flintlock. I wanted to forward this article to you that appeared in our Club magazine but this site will not let me email it to you and the PM function on this site continues to befuddle me. (I'm 73) If the following is of any interests to you feel free to copy and paste it'
Bill Sonnett

Fishing with Vintage Equipment--YeeHaw! by Bill Sonnett

One of the byproducts of looking at great old magazine covers and advertising is to experience those feelings that the publisher’s originally intended. That purpose, of course, was to stir one’s memories of pleasant days afield or on the water. As a boy these illustrations always seemed to make me feel that catching a big bass was in the realm of possibility and it gave me a definite impression as to what that experience would be like. I actually tried to imagine myself in those pictures fighting the bass of a lifetime. Now as an old man those pictures have a different effect. They cause me to remember big fish. landed or lost over my lifetime. The ones nearly landed but lost are the ones of which memories are the sharpest. The most pleasant effect is to stir one’s memories of fishing adventures and the friends who were a part of them. The lost fish, slipping and falling in the water, an outboard motor falling into 10 feet of water, bets about fish being made and lost and lots of friendly kidding. All these experiences become more humorous over time and are fun to recall and discuss with old fishing partners. Great times with fishing partners that have passed away are also brought to mind.

All this has almost nothing in common with today’s “Tournament Bass Fishing” as seen on television where there is no quiet contemplation of nature’s sounds and sights nor friendly banter with an old partner in the other end of the boat. Two of the tournament fishing trends that I find most troubling arise out the need to win money and titles. The first is “sight fishing” --- a euphemism designed to make taking bass off the nest that they are guarding an acceptable practice. I believe that it was Robert Page Lincoln who said this practice was no different than shooting a mother robin off the nest and leaving the babies to starve. The second trend is the use of very heavy tackle, tackle that could easily land a 35-pound tuna. Bass are unceremoniously skidded across the surface and hoisted into the boat in a matter of seconds to flop around until dumped into the live well. There is no celebration of the fish’s ability to jump or fight, only of the fisherman’s accomplishment. In my mind an accomplishment of questionable merit which can be summed up as---I can take more pounds of fish than the next guy using whatever method is legal. This has led many disenchanted older collectors of antique tackle to give their older equipment a try in hopes of recapturing the thrills shown and recounted in magazines of earlier times. This is really no different than the heightened experience many get from hunting deer with a bow, or in my case squirrels with a flintlock.

I am often asked when I started to use vintage baitcasting tackle. The answer is very simple… I never really stopped! When I was in High School, I bought and read and reread my copies of Lucas on Bass (Jason Lucas 1947), Black Bass Fishing (Robert Page Lincoln 1952) and Fresh Water Bass (Ray Bergman 1942). There always seemed to be an excitement and challenge to the type of bass fishing they described. The closest I was able to come to it in those days was with my outfit that consisted of a Coxe 30C reel and a soft action, 6ft hollow glass rod. When the ABU Ambassadeur 5000 reel came along, I bought one in 1964 but I never liked using a star drag to fish for bass or pike. I wanted to feel the rush of a large fish “under the thumb” that had always been a part of earlier baitcasting.

Make no mistake, this is NOT the type of fishing seen these days on television We are testing our abilities to land a lunker with tackle that gives the fish a “fighting chance” and that gives a great deal of satisfaction when we come out on top. Trout fishermen sometimes spend several seasons attempting to take a particular large fish from his established location. When a large bass is located and wins the initial battle, I spend a good deal of my fishing time attempting to come up with a way to outwit a now suspicious veteran. On one occasion, this went on for four years with a particular bass. As Charles K. Fox wrote in 1949, “We now commonly refer to our quarry as being “educated” and the capture of an “educated” fish brings about great personal satisfaction.” You win some – the bass wins some --- that's the contest--- not how can I take more pounds of fish than the next guy using every modern material and method and enough electronics to outfit a WW II submarine. Fishing with vintage tackle is a new and growing part of our hobby and folks who have given it a fair trial over the past few years have consistently reported that they haven't had this much fun in a long time!

Acquiring a good vintage outfit has become far easier over the past 15 years. More than at any previous time, lots of great reels, great rods and great lures from earlier days are available and reasonably priced at lure shows and on eBay. It is almost embarrassing to admit that I have purchased Pflueger Supremes for as little as $3 at shows and some of the best metal rods ever made for $5. Well-fished lures from seventy or eighty years ago can often be had for half the cost of a new Rapala. In short, there has never been a more affordable time to get into fishing with vintage tackle. I sometimes forget that everyone isn't “vintage” enough to have been around when this tackle was being used. I will be the first to admit that learning to cast with pre-1945 baitcasting reels can be trying, especially for a kid. The secret to success is somewhat the same as learning to fly cast; it really helps to have good, well-balanced equipment and someone who is halfway adept at casting for a coach, at least for the first hour of practice. In the years before 1950, the average working man could not afford the best tackle and had little time to maintain the equipment or do much practice casting. It can be hard to convince folks who remember those days as one long backlash to go back and give it a second try. Many reluctant visitors to my back yard have been amazed at how easy it can be in just a few minutes to develop acceptable casting skills when outfitted with a good, well maintained outfit. I am going to attempt to recommend some affordable equipment that should put a new comer on the right track.

REELS

When it comes to selecting a vintage baitcasting reel you plan to use, there is a reason why one sees more Pflueger and Shakespeare reels around than most others. These two manufacturers made some quality reels at affordable prices. If I were to recommend pre-1945 reels to start with, I would say one could not go wrong with any of the following reels for practical everyday fishing. The Shakespeare Marhoff, models GF or GE are good. However, many of those beautiful Marhoffs from the late 1930's with the marbled plastic head plates do not cast well as the plastic from that era has shrunk and warped enough to interfere with smooth operation. It is hard to go wrong with the aluminum-spooled Pfluegers --- Akron (#1893L)--- Summit (#1993L)---Nobby (#1960) or an early Skilkast (#1953). For heavier fishing, the Pflueger Supreme is near indestructible. The reel you plan to use needs to be somewhat free of wear. This is as much a function of how often it was cleaned and lubricated as the number of hours it was used. With Pflueger, it is best to stay away from reels made at the tail end of their production run as sloppy fit of some components often lessened their smooth, quiet operation. With the Skilcast, cleaning and over-lubrication of the anti-backlash mechanism can also be a source of trouble. At least half of the Skilcasts I open up have some of the half dozen internal washers put back in the wrong order! Vintage reels, unlike today's baitcasters, all need to be cleaned and lubricated regularly. Jason Lucas recommended daily oiling of the end bearings and hourly oiling of the levelwind's double threaded shaft. I have found no reason to try to improve upon that advice. Light grease on gears and oil on all bearings is standard treatment.

Everyone has a favorite oil; I use Hoppe's and have always been happy with it. Shakespeare reels seem to like a lighter grease on the gears, such as Lubriplate, while Pfluegers have always done better for me with a heavier grease. Quantum “Hot Sauce” will make a reel spin faster, but I have experienced difficulties with its use on older reels when actual fishing starts. Vasoline on the gears may do in a pinch, but will bring things to a halt on the first cold morning!

LINES

Fishermen years ago seemed to live in constant fear of a broken line. This was usually the result of rotted silk lines parting while attempting to land the “Big One”. The average braided line seen in use was far too heavy for easy casting. When it comes to line, my advice is to stick with the braided nylon. If you use a silk line, be prepared to remove it from the reel and dry it after each use. Also, the last 18 inches of braided silk line will quickly wear and should be removed after a day's casting in order to avoid losing the “Big One”. It has been my experience that braided dacron does not spool as well as nylon. Modern monofilament acts like a giant rubber band as it is wound on the spool and its powers of compression can ruin many older reels whose spools were never designed to handle it. Ten to fifteen pound test braided nylon line will cast far better than the heavier lines often found on old reels. The lighter the line the easier will be the casting. With an educated thumb acting as a drag and proper “playing” of the fish, 10 pound test is strong enough to handle any bass.

RODS

When it comes to a vintage rod, bamboo is fine but requires a lot of care. There are some truly great bamboo baitcasting rods out there, but there are many that are too stiff for easy casting. Most in this hobby prefer a top quality seamless tubular steel rod. Two of the best are easy to come by. The first would be the “Heddon Pal” rod in 5 or 5 &1/2 ft light action. This is a great rod that was introduced in 1933 and thousands were sold. The other choice is one of the True Temper seamless tubular steel rods. These came in several grades and two lengths. I prefer the shorter 5ft rod in the top-of-the-line “Dynamic” grade. This is one of the greatest metal rods ever produced, originally costing nearly $30. I have regularly purchased them for as little as $5 in the past, but they seem to have “caught on” on eBay lately and are going for a bit more. Shakespeare reels occasionally shift in the reel seat on True Temper's “Speedlock” handle, but a small piece of leather at the forward end of the reel’s foot always eliminates this problem. There are many solid steel baitcasting rods that are pure junk! However, the better grades of True Temper's solid steel rods such as the “Perfect” and the “Toledo” in 4 & ½ ft length can be a revelation to those who think there is no such thing as a great solid steel rod. Besides, what other rod can you back the car over and do no appreciable harm! For many years, I enjoyed evening fishing for pike in northern Canada with such a rod equipped with a Pflueger Supreme reel. Those pike absolutely exploded on Heddon Crazy Crawlers and Heddon Bassers.

LURES

When it comes to vintage lures, everyone has a favorite. Half the fun is trying out different “old timers” and seeing how they act in the water. One thing to keep in mind is that every piece of wood is a little different than the next. Just because one Babe-Oreno swims like crazy does not mean the next one will. After finding one that works particularly well, you may notice slight differences in the weight of the wood or placement of the hardware. Eventually you can usually sense a “winner.” One of the best clues to identifying a “winner” is the presence of deep grooves worn in the belly of a plug from the hooks swinging back and forth. That sort of wear means the bait spent plenty of time swimming in the water…and that generally means it caught fish!

It is important to understand that most bass fishing before 1945 was not in the large deep reservoirs and impoundments so popular with today's bass fisherman. Smaller natural lakes, rivers, swamps, ponds, and bayous were where the action was. Much of the fishing was top water. With short accurate casts this is where vintage tackle shines. Early dawn, evening and after dark is when this fishing is at its best. During the heat of the day, lily pads and weed cover are the spots in shallow lakes where light-shy bass lay in wait. With this in mind, here are a few of our pre-1945 favorites:

Arbogast Jitterbug
Arbogast Hawaiian Wiggler
Al Foss Shimmy Wiggler
Clark's Water Scout
Creek Chub Plunker and Baby Plunker
Creek Chub Regular and Baby Injured Minnow
Creek Chub Darter and Baby Darter
Creek Chub Junior Jointed Pikie
Creek Chub Midget Pikie
Johnson Silver Minnow
Pflueger Jointed Baby Pal-o-mine
Pflueger Globe
Heddon Weedless Widow
Heddon Jr Basser
Heddon Baby Lucky 13
Heddon Vamp
Heddon 140 SOS
Shakespeare Swimming Mouse
South Bend Babe-Oreno
South Bend Baby Surf-Oreno
# 8 Skinner Spoon

I would be remiss if I did not mention that one of the aspects of vintage tackle fishing that I truly enjoy is reading vintage books on Bass fishing. One book in particular has been a huge hit with everyone I have ever known who was getting into vintage tackle fishing. It is New Angles to Bass Fishing by Ernst Radtke. It was written in 1955 and covers every aspect of tackle, naming rods, reels, lures, lines etc by name and giving the strong and weak points of each. Most find it hard to read this book and not want to get up and go Bass fishing at once. I have purchased and given away many copies and it comes up regularly for $5.

As in many things, good times with a partner are an important part of a day on the water. I will guarantee more good times than usual when you both relive the “Golden Years” of Bass fishing with tackle from that fabled time.

Tight Lines,
Bill Sonnett
I love to get old reels, work on them until they run as smooth as silk and the take them fishing using pre-1960 plugs, mostly surface fishing for Largemouths after dark.
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

if you really liked the old reel you had, chances are if you look long enough you can probably find a like reel on E-Bay.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Welcome to the forum, it's nice to see you have interests in open face spinners! :)

The SB Sup-Matics, 707, 707G, 606 & 606G were all made in France from about '61-'70. The non-G series, '61-'64, were a pale green and the later Gs were tan. Both 707 models came with a two speed function on the crank handle. The two speed function was an option on the 606 series' and also available as a field conversion. The Sup-Matics are a high quality and smooth operating reel, especially when serviced and maintained. They come up for sale fairly often on the 'Bay, and for some unknown reason, don't demand a high price. Maybe because they are a medium sized reel.

The SB Gladdings were made in Japan in the early '70s and were distributed through the mid '70s. The "A" model was the later version.

IMHO, your friends are more than likely correct in their assessment of the cost of newer reels. Many of the Asian made reels today sport numerous "ball bearings" to compensate for lower quality construction, materials and lasting ability. It is very expensive today to duplicate the quality found in many of the higher grade vintage spinning reels of the mid '60s - the mid '80s. In my mind, most of today's "affordable" reels are really no more than throwaways when it comes to repairs. That's why I fish with older reels. I only fish with one from 1997. All the rest of my arsenal are from 1965-1984. I prefer quality & dependability. :wink:
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

I had a few of that series of South Bend reels last year. Once I cleaned and greased them up, the action was pretty smooth. I didn't fish them but I imagine they would do fine. I have been using a Pflueger Akron 1895 casting reel for bass and like it. I have an Abu Ambassadeur ready to spool up that I am looking forward to using. For spinning reels, you could look into the Mitchell 300, or any if the Airex Bache Browns. The older Airex reels are quite nice. I'm going to disagree slightly on the newer reels, I routinely use some $50-100 spinning and casting reels with joy. They may not last the rest of my life, but I can catch 3lb bass all day just fine. They've for sure come through several years still working like new. Just my opinion, though if anyone wants to gift me a $600 Shimano, I'll gladly eat those words!
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Snowy Rivers »

I agree on the multi bearing thing.

I was an engineer in the wood products business for years and understand about quality of the material thing.

The 707 I had was the light green French made with the 2 speed gear box.

Mom and I bought the 707's and Dad had a Mitchell of some type ????

Not sure why we all cid not have the same gear, but maybe the store did not have 3 of any one type ????

I have decided to fill out two series of reels "Because I can"

I scored a NEW IN BOX 725A yesterday and have the 730A and 750A
Still snooping for a 760A

Gonna do the 820 840 870 and 880 as well.

The 700 A series and the 800 series seem to be sort of like a "set" and were all look alike accept for the size.

Do I need them??? nooooooooooooooooooo, not even, but they are some cooooooool reels and were made real well in a time when quality meant something.
At least they will not take up much room in the cupboard. :D :D

My bass fishing buddies all do the tournament stuff and beat theirs to heck.

They may cast a bazzzzzzilion times a day, so the $$$$ is likely the way to get reliability ???
WeeKilt
Frequent Board Poster

Post by WeeKilt »

Robyn - In my humble (and uneducated) opinion, most of the newer reels sold are cheap overseas junk. My youngest keeps looking at them (beware all that glitters gold!), but after disassembling several of them he's bought in the $40-80 price range that have quit working correctly, I'm firmly convinced that older vintage reels is the way to go. (The South Bend Microlight my son bought 8 months ago is shot after pulling in a 1lb bass - too much play in the gearing and no way to insert a shim. Junk. But then again, it was junk priced when new, I guess. :roll: ) Someone here can likely steer you in the right direction as to what to look for and buy? John Elder seems to post a LOT of nice reels, and I'd trust his judgement!

My brother in law is an avid bass fisherman; over 50 rod/reels lounging in the back of his truck! :o I'm always tickled that he goes back to 60s-70s reels on a regular basis. When queried why, he told me that they just seem to hold up better.

You can certainly pay hundreds for nice reels, and I'm sure some of them are worth every dollar paid, but for me a good vintage reel that performs well and requires little maintenance is like a good truck that doesn't need more than a regular oil change and lube. As a long haul trucker, you know where I'm coming from when I say that!

I was tickled to read what you said about "patience". My son has definitely learned that trait in the last year. We took a small hiatus from the lake house for several weeks as my sister's family was using it, so we decided last Saturday to saunter down to the French Broad River which flows about 800yds behind my house. Not my choice of places to fish (too many snakes for me! :shock: ) but if patience was ever needed, it would be there. Every other cast is a snag, eats lures, bait and weights for lunch and doesn't give up much easily with a heavy current there. After three hours, Ethan certainly appreciated the ease of lake fishing. It's a good lesson learned. I've already noticed a remarkable difference in his ability to take things in stride vs last year. I hope that becomes that case for your grandson as well. Many happy memories fishing with my grandfather and grandmother - make 'em last with your grandson. :D

Tight lines,
Keith in Arden, NC
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

A new category of competition for the nationals in the future could be "Old Vs. New". Although you can still get Back lashes with any casting reel, I have much better luck with "New". The New of today will be collectible tomorrow. ( I will retreat back into my hole, now) Jon
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Welcome, Robyn! As you can see, there are lots of folks with similar interests here and many of us have a lot of great old and new reels that need new homes (thanks for the shout-out, keith :-] }. Be sure and check out the sales page and see what might be there that will be of interest. Also, just asking will likely make most things appear from the woodwork!

If you like books, Jim's new release via whitefish Press on South Bend reels is a real keeper. It's also sold through the club and is usually listed on the Club eBay site under seller oldreelcollector.

here is the link for preview!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fishing-Ree ... SwNphWYZ5g
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Snowy Rivers »

Thanks for all the info and encouragement.

I am a real lover of vintage things.

I love my iphone 6 plus, but it is not gonna reel in a fish :D :D

AS you guys have mentioned, the new stuff can go away quickly, and thats not gonna be sitting in the box on the shelf.

Losing a lovely trout, bass or ????? due to a reel failure is disheartening to say the least.
The Fishing Hobby
Advanced Board Poster

Post by The Fishing Hobby »

I taught my kids how to cast with buckets in the yard. We called it "Yard Fishing". You can put a hula-hoop around the buckets as well and give less points for one inside the hoop and more for in the bucket. When my kids get new rods/reels they still practice with them doing a little yard fishing first. I would say for vintage reels for youngsters to start out with the older Shakespeare 2200 CK Series line of reels are good ones to look at because they offer the utility/durability of older reels and modern conveniences such as a bail that can be closed manually and silent anti-reverse.
Here is a link to a video I made that details the ultralight version of these reels, but there are many other sizes available on eBay as well.
(formerly Insanehognutt)
Kevin Connell
Greenbrier, AR
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqne7f ... pp=desktop
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Robyn, there is a Fishing App for the Iphone 7....maybe you need an upgrade? :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Snowy Rivers
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Snowy Rivers »

NOT into the game apps thing

My phone is my serious tools thing.

Yard fishing is a really cool way to learn casting for sure.

Toss in a spool of crap line and go at it.

I do not like using my good fishing line in the yard due to possible damage and then losing a fish later.

Yesterday we went garage saleing and I scored a lovely curio cabinet with glass shelves to display my reel collection.

Decided since my roots in fishing go back to the early 60's that I would scare up every model of spinning reel that South Bend made from the 50's up through the mid/late 70's

So far I have scored the complete 700A series.
All new in the box (some boxes are falling apart)

The 725A...730A...750A AND THE 760A

The next series is the 800's

There is the 820..840...870...880

Then the colors and styles get all over the place with the 835 being a root beer brown color.

At least this stuff is cool and does not take up a huge amount of space.

When I'm gone the grand kids can do whatever.

Those bigger reels can winch a car out of a ditch almost.

The 60 and 80 sizes are huge.

Gonna be fun snooping for stuff for the collection