Olson (Portland) split shot tin

ORCA Online Forum - Feel free to talk or ask about ALL kinds of old tackle here, with an emphasis on old reels!
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Olson (Portland) split shot tin

Post by Mike N »

Has anyone seen this split shot tin before? How rare is it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olson-Mfg-Co-sp ... SwEeFVTkCK

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Re: Olson (Portland) split shot tin

Post by kyreels »

I have a modest collection of around 40 tins I have been working on for 10 years. I have a smaller #3 red tin from that company. The name and other info is apparently put on with a cheaper rubber stamp process, because it similarly is worn pretty well. It appears to me to be in a similar condition, unlike the Ideal and other shot tins that had a paint process.

I can't say how rare it is, but the desirability of any tin without decent graphics puts the value much lower to me. This is a 10 or $20 tin to me.

I decided not to get into the round shot tins, and thus it is harder to pick up a great variety. I guess like anything else, once you get the easy 30 tins, they get harder. I have missed out on a few on eBay over the years at the $50 point, but seems like this one is priced higher than it should be. If he put a starting bid of $20 on it, it probably would have gone under $30, IMHO.
Matt Wickham
Collector of Casting Weights, KY Reels and KY Tackle
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thank you for the insights. Much appreciated.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

You do have the opportunity to tender an offer, although in my experience if someone thinks they have something worth $75 it's not likely they're going to agree to an offer of $25, but what have you to lose?
Sid Lehr